Moving songs from iPod to Mac, with a catch

Discussion in 'iPod' started by The Red Menace, Jan 25, 2006.

1. The Red Menace macrumors member

Sep 27, 2005
    What I would like to do is rip the music that is currently on my wife's nano and put it onto her new Mac. However the catch. Her iPod is being used with a windows computer currently so it is formatted for windows. Is there any way to rip the songs off the pod and put them on the Mac? If not, what would be the most effective way of doing this? Data CD's? :confused:
  2. sdcacevedo macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2006
    This is the software I used to move my music on my windows formated iPod to my PowerBook, it works like a charm. Windows formated iPod can be seen and managed by both PCs and Macs, but Macintosh formatted iPods can only be seen and managed by Macs only (99.99% Sure).
  3. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Macs can read/write FAT16/32 formatted drives, and read NTFS - write support is limited and experimental. (read: Windows)

Windows, on the flip side, seems virtually ignorant to HFS+, which is what the Mac-formatted iPods are formatted.
    You could use a program called MacDrive to read HFS+ formatted drives on Windows, but that's a totally different topic.

Hence, to use an iPod on both a Mac and a Windows computer, best to format it on the Windows machine :)