Moving to a different Mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by twomiracles, Feb 23, 2007.

1. twomiracles macrumors regular

Is this easy to do? As far as my mail, especially? What if I won't have them at the same time? Can I backup to an external drive and restore to the new machine?

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

go buy a firewire cable. plug to two macs togeather. turn on the old mac and hold down the T button. A firewire icon will apear on the screen. on the new mac, run "migration assistant". Fallow the directions on there. it will transfer everything. you won't be able to tell the difference.

If you don't have them at the same time yes you can backup the old mac to a external drive. I use carbon copy cloner here at work. Then once you backup your old mac, the migration assistant program will work the same way. Takes about 1/2 hour at the most.

3. coach z macrumors newbie

cantthinkofone just nailed that one on the head
    -chris

4. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

Does it give the option to only move certain things? It's been suggested that software could be causing some of the problems I've had with my mini so I'm not sure I want to copy everything over.

Thanks for the help!

5. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

if your moving to a new mac its probably running tiger correct? it will probably run the program(s). the migration assistant will let you know if anything will cause a problem. it will transfer users, network settings, files, applications, etc etc.