moving to a mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by itamar, Dec 1, 2003.

1. itamar macrumors newbie

sorry, couldn't find a better place posting this question-
    i'm thinking of moving from pc to mac
    the only problem for me is the software - most of the times i simply copy the software from my work to my computer - which is probebly illegel, now i can't realy do it with a mac,
    what are my options ?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: moving to a mac

What sort of work do you do? Are you eligible for rebates? Many programs you are supposed to pay for come with your mac.

3. itamar thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm a designer,
    using flash , photoshop, freehand, 3d studio.
    the problem is that i'm going to keep working on a pc at work,
    i just want a mac to use at home.

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Hmmm get in touch with Adobe. I wouldn't pirate it because then you are making profit off pirated software, even though if you don't make profit, it's still piracy, Adobe won't like it even more if you are making money.

5. itamar thread starter macrumors newbie

the real problem is that using those softwares on my home computer was probebly illegel (though don't realy feel bad about it - )
    and I doubt whether adobe would help me solve this problem.

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Tell them you use it at work, and would like to have a mac license too, I've heard they have deals for stuff like that. Don't tell them that you've pirated in the past. ;)

7. itamar thread starter macrumors newbie

i'll probebly end up with dirty pirated softwares -
    i can't see it working out with adobe, macromedia and discreet,

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hmmm... i dont know about that... ;)

9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

10. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

And if they say no, just pirate it off a p2p network

11. rfenik macrumors regular

rfenik

It's easier than you think. Just go next to someone who has a mac and share via bluetooth or airport networks.

Go on ebay and bid on some software... later that day you'll recieve TONS of emails from people asking if you want to buy some pirated software...

InDesign CS is awesome!

12. radhak macrumors regular

I think your approach is flawed. If the only way your personal computer is useful to you is when you use pirated software, then you are not thinking straight. If using the software you mentioned is part of your job, then why do you need to bring it home? If bringing it home is also part of the job (ie, there is an expectation at work that you should be able to work at home too), then maybe your workplace vendor can be persuaded to give you (or even better, your employer) a nice deal on the price, even if the platform is different.

More importantly, there is a problem with your values here. Software Piracy is just a matter of ease. Would you steal anything else, if it were that easy? I know that others have given umpteen other analogies that may not fit the situation, but consider the coin-operated newspaper vending box outside any supermarket. You'd notice that once your friend puts in 50 cents and opens the box, you could very easily put your hand in and take a second newspaper for yourself when your friend picks up one. Saves you 50 cents! Would you do that? Most probably not, because it would be 'stealing', and it is 'only' 50 cents a day. Well then, if you buy Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for $300 odd, it works out to less than one dollar a day (assuming you throw it away after one year, which is never the case)! And I am talking full version, retail price; i am sure you could get the software for far less with all sorts of discounts, upgrades etc. Ebay might prove really cheap.

Okay, I not an idealist. You can always use pirated software to check out what the software does, but if you find it vital for your job / hobby, you should consider buying it. I am not a designer, and never would be, so would never need to use, hence buy, Macromedia Flash. But when my work wanted me to work on a Borland's C++ at home (ages ago), I insisted I be given legal software at home, and got it.

And yes, I too found it a pain to get software for the Mac that I already had for the PC, so I retained my laptop, using it for software that I have bought or my organization has provided (like MS Office, ER/Win, Visio, to name a few).

Do consider all that before opting for a pirated version.

13. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

A 'professional' designer who steals the tools he uses to make a living? And then brags about it here?? Weak.:mad:

14. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

It is too late for me.

15. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

If you do some thorough looking around at the internet, you will find enough good software against a very decent price even for a Mac. Photoshop Elements and Freeway Express are excellant examples. People don't have any real excuses to steal anymore. :( Think Different. ;)

16. Paenis macrumors newbie

What i'm trying to understand is why your using a Pc for design work in the first place???

17. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

Some ideas for the software.
    if you or your family/friends are in any type of school you can get great educational discounts - try www.diskovery.com

If you have to use the sw at home for work it may be tax deductible - so consider that - and yes, if your employer "requires" you work at home they should pony up for the software

18. Java macrumors regular

me too

I was thinking the same thing.

19. aldo macrumors regular

Personally I think being forced to purchase the same software twice, just compiled differently (probably a click of a drop down menu) is a complete rip off. All design software that costs upwards of $500 should be hybrid, or at least have a voucher so you can get the Mac version you can send for for the price of shipping.

If they don't help you out with this, I say pirate it. It's completly unreasonable to pay twice for the same thing (minus a change of compiler).

Also, if don't use the PC at work while you use your PC at home, thats usually OK by the license. I know Windows used to have a clause it the EULA about 'you can use it on multiple computers as long as you don't use it at the same time' - so i think that will be ok. Microsoft have probably changed it by now, however.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I agree it would be nice to get a discount if, say, you own PS 7 for the PC and need to buy the Mac version. But I don't think that making cross platform software is as easy as clicking an option in a drop down menu. If it was we'd see a whole heck of a lot more cross platform apps.

Lethal

21. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

So when I get tired of my green car, Ford should give me a blue one? Or a voucher for a paint job in case I get bored of the color? And if they won't be reasonable and do that I should be allowed to steal one in the color I want as long as I don't drive both cars at the same time?

22. itamar thread starter macrumors newbie

mmmm, I think i was missunderstood, I am using at work a PC
    and i'm using the software as a learning/hobby mostly,
    there's no way i could ask my company to buy extra copies for me, they would probably just tell me that i could stay over time :)
    if i like it so much.
    i was hoping on hearing something like a convertor for pc programs (there were some years ago ?) so i could just use the software,
    and I checked - you can use most of the softwares on two computers as long as they are not used at the same time -
    i didn't say anything pro piracy.