Moving to a new Mac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gary King, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    When I move to a new Mac, and I use the firewire option and connect 2 Macs together, does it move everything from the old Mac? Or only certain folders? If so, which folders does it move?
  2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    in my case it moved ......everything as far as I can tell

it was really fast and the best set-up experience I've had with a new computer

from the old machine; data, applications, system 9 (classic), preferences, etc

something to watch for; it did transfer the older versions of several of the iLife apps from the old machine so I ended up with a couple of versions of several things because the current iLife stuff was already installed....i think that happened because the apps had a slightly different name.
  3. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    toronto canada
    i thought target disk mode only coppied your home folder, not system apps or preferences.....
  4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    You can actually specify whether you want it to just do the home folder, or the apps, etc. as well. Worked great for me.
  5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    oh, i assumed he meant using the migration assistent program that apple ships with new computers..............starting up in target disk mode by itself just gives you access to the target computer's drive but it's not going to copy stuff to set up your new computer
  6. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    Well I mean using whatever is the most typical to use when migrating from one old Mac to another. Like a Mac Mini to an iMac (both newest, for instance.)
  7. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    When you do set-up on the iMac, it will ask you if you have another Mac you want to transfer stuff from.

If yes, you connect the FW cable and follow instructions. It will copy over your Users folder and your Apps folder.

One thing I'm not sure on is whether you've already named your Mac at this point. You may have to make sure that they've got the same name.
  8. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I just did it today, moved all the stuff from my PowerBook to the iMac, worked perfect. It's actually kinda creepy because it came up with the same background image and files on my desktop. It pretty much makes everything exactly as you had it, right down to the preferences and which widgets you had open. i would recommend it to anyone.
  9. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    Can you please double check if it moves absolutely everything? For instance, I have (lots) of stuff that I would like to keep, that is outside of simply the Users and Applications folder. I also have things that are in the hidden folders as well, such as /var/, /usr/, etc.
  10. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    It doesn't move everything... Sorry... :(

It will move most applications, documents, settings, etc.

It will not move things like xCode or items in directories like /var, etc.

In order to get items like that, you can either reinstall the applications, or boot the old system in target mode and drag them back over.
  11. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    Can someone specify exactly which folders it moves?

So far, I think it moves /Applications/ and ~/ folders? Does it move any folders that I created in the / (root) directory?
  12. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    Has anyone done this before? Or no one has, and so no one knows?