Moving to MAC, just ordered an iMac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cgratti, Jan 26, 2005.

1. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Placed my order today from apple.com
    Ordered an iMac G5 20" with 2GB RAM (got third party RAM), applecare, and iLife '05.

Can't wait to get my baby home so I can throw my PC out the window.

I hope this machine is at least half as fast as the dual 2GHz Powermacs I have been using at my university,

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For most of what you do, it will seem identically fast!

3. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

It will be just as fast unless you are running a lot of programs (and I mean a lot.). :)

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that you have made a very wise decision. It will give you years of enjoyment. A smart move on your part to purchase AppleCare. Welcome as a switcher and to MacRumors.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

You must've read Opus the other week ;)

Congrats on the iMac - that's one sweet machine, and I think you'll be pleased with the speed. Keep us posted.

7. H&Kie macrumors regular

Great choice!

Got an iMc G5 myself (well, a 17"er...) and loving it!!

Congratulations!

8. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Congrats mate :)
    The 20" is a gorgeous computer, had it for a few months now and it is fast and i still loveeee it.
    Hope you enjoy it, not quite as fast as a dual 2ghz but saves a hell-of-a-lot of space.

9. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

Congrats! Thats going to one fast nice looking computer!

Is it just me or has there been an abundance of "I switched" kind of threads lately? Like even in the past month compared to 6 months ago. I swear more people are switching... its that halo effect taking off :D

10. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Question on RAM, Does the RAM in an iMac need to be installed in pairs?
    I can install a single 1GB chip correct? but I can't have a 1GB and a 256MB chip installed together at the same time can I?

Reason for asking is that I got 3rd party RAM, but can I buy just a 1GB chip and use the 256MB chip that comes standard with the iMac? for a total of 1.25GB? I am thinking I need to get another 1GB stick and go with that.

TIA

--Chuck

11. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

It does not have to be in pairs in the imac. So you can buy a 1gb stick.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, installing identical RAM will give you 128-bit memory (as opposed to 64-bit) but the speed increase is evidently very slight, so it's nothing to get too hung up on. Congrats on the new machine, the iMac G5 is simply beautiful-- I'm writing on one right now.

The one bit of advice I give to switchers is this: for the first week, just trust Apple, even if it seems wrong compared to the PC way. Once you get used to it, it'll make sense in a whole new way.

14. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I am not completely new to Apple, I use one at my university for design. Just never had one at home.... Until today...

Ordered it on Jan 27th, they shipped it Jan 27th. Just tracked it and it's scheduled for delivery to my home on Jan 28th (Today!). From Chicago to PA in less than 24 hours, great service.... Not here yet, but its about 30 miles from me sitting in a FedEx truck. I am stoked!

15. ceallac macrumors newbie

Nice!

Hey wow... you must have gotten lucky with the shipping.
    I ordered my iMac G5 20" on the 26 and it's slated to ship on 2/2...

I'm sure my story is not unlike a lot of folks....
    I'm an old mac-head from way back.. from the SE, to the Classic II... bought my last Mac 10 years ago (an old beige Powermac 7500 that still running, BTW) during grad school. But have been sucked into PC work land the last decade or so..

Couldn't be happier to be returning to friendlier climes.

Greetings to all.

16. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

cgratti

UPDATE: The mac arrived today at the University, unfortunately.. I cant get it until Monday at 9am... Grrrrrrr, it needs to be checked in and they didnt get a chance to do it today.... So my last weekend on a PC.... I'll survive, and in the meantime I am going shopping for a computer armiore to house the new addition.

17. ceallac macrumors newbie

My iMac is on the way!

Update: Just checked the status and my iMac just shipped today from Shanghai... so it's got a ways farther to travel, but is scheduled to arrive here in TN on 2/4-- perfect timing for the weekend!

18. brandon6684 Guest

If you're going to move to the Mac platform you first lesson is that it is Mac not MAC.

19. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

cgratti

My Mac is here and I am impressed. I already see how inferior PCs are. It has a learning curve, but its well worth it. I am amazed how easy Mac makes things compared to Microsoft.

Digital photo editing has never been better.