Moving to Madison WI...any tips?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mavimao, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2005
    Lyon, France
    Hey everyone. I'm currently in Ohio and I'm moving to Madison for a couple months. The jist is: I'm waiting for this position to open in Ohio, but it won't be for like 5 months and so I'm going to stay with some friends in WI for that time.

I've never been to Madison and I was wondering what people thought of it? Anyone know of any employment opportunities? :-D

In any case, I'd like to hear what you had to say about it.
  2. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I live a little south of Madison.

Cool place, lots of culture, lots to do.
    (Plus they know how to throw a Halloween Party!) ;)

Advice: The weather is crazy here. It's either -20 º or 100º. Make sure you have enough for both.
  3. Mavimao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2005
    Lyon, France

Even in November through March?

PS: Crap! Just missed the party!
  4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Well Madison is a very laid back, liberal city. The city itself is very beautiful. Lakes around, lots of bike paths, the Capital, Campus, etc. State st has old town main st to it, but its slowly being taken over by larger corporations like Gap, and starbucks. Still alot of mom n pop shops though. There is a great arts center I am told, although I have never been. Urban sprawl has begin to set in the rest of the city.

The downtown is where most of the action is. It gets kinda crazy on the weekends, but is lots of fun. The west side of town is more white collar, the east side more blue collar. there are small neighborhoods all of the town, giving you a sense of belonging with those who live near by.

Its a great city. Out of curiosity, Why Madison of all places?
  5. Mavimao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2005
    Lyon, France
    Haha, good point. "why Madison"?

I don't have a concrete answer as to "why". I guess it's for the same reason that dogs lick their balls.*

*because they can.

But also because I have friends there and they tell me it's a pretty cool place. That I'd like it and stuff. I don't want to go to some gynormous city like New York or anything. Just somewhere to chill out for a couple of months. Madison seemed like a nice snug fit.
  6. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2005
    The Soybean Captial of the World
    I really like Madison - been here for about 2 1/2 years now.

mlw is right about the weather though - it's pretty weird. It can go from being 80 degrees one day to 40 the next - in fact, that happened just a few weeks ago.

Look for a place with access to the bus. Trying to park downtown/near campus is a pain in the you-know-what.
  7. iDM macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Invest in an iron liver, apparently those kids like to drink,,2-10-1462_1826293,00.html
  8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Tips for new Madison residents

- Stay sober, you'll instantly seem smarter to all the Madison drunks
    - Do not park your car near the riots
    - Avoid the thousands of loutish Badger hoodlums wandering from bar to bar virtually every night
    - If you should happen to get caught in a riot, try to flee AGAINST the wind, to more quickly escape the tear gas
    - When a Badger fan urinates on your lawn, DO NOT call the police, they're Badger fans too and they'll think it's funny.
    - Get used to having your ass handed to you by the back-to-back NCAA champion MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHER MEN'S HOCKEY TEAM!!!!
  9. pivo6 macrumors 68000

Dec 2, 2002
    Amen! Since it's hunting season, you'll need to wear blaze orange. Especially since most of the residents are drinking/drunk.