Moving to OSX

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by puppetguy, Nov 9, 2004.

1. puppetguy macrumors newbie

I will be buying a new eMac soon, and so will be upgrading to OSX. I'm typing this on my good 'ol Power Computing PowerCenterPro running OS 8.6. I would like advice on how to best move to the new operating system, move my files and data, etc. Are there any good books on the subject? Any pitfalls to avoid? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

David Pogue: OS X -- The Missing Manual (Panther) for good comprehensive overview. Well written.

3. puppetguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Does "The Missing Manual" cover moving from an older system--transferring files, etc.? Or just an introduction to the new system?

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

My copy is at work. I've just got home so I'll check tomorrow.

You can read about the book here.
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macxmmpanther/desc.html

If your machine has firewire then it's a breeze. If not, then you have to back your valuable files up and transfer them manually. Some of your old applications may run (slowly) in Classic mode -- you'll have to upgrade the ones that won't.

Mail apps are a thread in themselves: search the forum -- there's bound to be something on this already.

5. puppetguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response...

I just wanted to know what the best way to move was, and avoid any hassles. I do have a firewire card installed in this old beast. So, do I just connect the two computers and copy files from the old to the new? What about ethernet?

I can probably duck into the nearest bookstore and peruse the "Missing Manual" to see if it covers "moving" (as opposed to "switching" or "upgrading").

Thanks again.