Moving to San Francisco

Discussion in 'Community' started by agreenster, Oct 23, 2004.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Heya everyone!

Well, it finally happened. I got a job and am moving to California! Last week I took a whirlwind trip to CA, hitting three major cities (LA, SD, SF), in the rain, for 3 job interviews in 3 days (minus Monday and Friday for travel back to Indiana) Looks like I'm going to be an animator for Shaba Games in San Fran, working on a really cool (yet to be announced) title. Let's just say it's a pretty big title which will be released for XBox, PS2, and Gamecube.

Anyway, I'm moving down the end of November so I'll be packing and preparing and visiting craigslist.org for the next several weeks. I'm pretty excited!! Any additional info would be helpful from everyone who lives in the Bay area. I'll be working downtown (a couple blocks from the Bay Bridge) and am looking for a nice-ish house/condo/apartment to rent that I can easily commute to work from.

Thanks everyone in advance for the info!

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Congratulations on the job! San Francisco is a very beautiful city, I think you'll be very happy here. One thing to consider is that it's very expensive to live here. I would look at housing outside the city. Look at places where BART goes. That way you can take BART to work, since the downtown SF stops are within walking distance of your job. Good luck!

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Good for you! When I live in California, I used to love going to San Francisco, it was, and still is one of my favorite cities. Lots to do and see, I never once got board there.

You'll love it! :)

4. Yellow-tail macrumors newbie

It's been almost 10 years since I came here, Lovely city :) :) :) I love games, too. Just got Gamecube. What's the game you're gonna work on??? looking forward to see it anyway.

Oh, also I'm new here. How's goin guys and don't bite me please ;)

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Welcome to San Francisco! I think you will like it here but it can take a while. If you live and/or work in the city, take advantage of it. When people from work ask you to go out, go out. Have fun. Make friends. It is very expensive, parking is horrendous, traffic is bad and getting worse, and the local politics here are just nutty (and I say that as a proud liberal Democrat). Some days I feel like moving away and others you just know it's the best place in the world. *shrug* Been here for 14 years now (transplant from NY) and even though someday I may move back out, I don't ever regret the move here. Don't miss MWSF in January! Good luck!

6. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Congrats man! I don't have anything to say about SF, but wanted to say congrats on the job!

SF is one of the top 3 cities I'd want to live in after NYC and London. We were considering moving to SF next summer, but it's looking like I'll need to be staying in NY for a while (2006). Can't know for sure yet nor can I talk about it yet. But the gf's family is from SF so we'll be visiting for a few days in Dec, maybe we can meet up.

Once the game comes out be sure to let us know what it is. I know how those NDA's are ;) Are you gonna be doing game loops or cinematics?

EDIT: Actually I have a lil' somethin about moving for ya. When we were talking about moving there we were going to try and get a place in Berkley. It's close enough so the commute isn't bad, a nice place, and not as expensive as some other areas around the Bay (so I am told).

7. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Looks like I'll be doing both gameplay animation and cinematics. There's about 4 animators for this particular title, and I think they're bringing one more on. There's another team doing another title for the PSP. After this game is done, I think they'll start development for next-gen systems. (Xbox2, PS3, Nintendo) Im not sure when it is coming out, but as soon as it goes public I'll let everyone know!! I'd assume it would either be announced or released around E3 time.

Shaba is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Activision, so you can imagine the scope of the title. It's a well-known IP with well-known characters. Between each level there's a story-line and there will be lots of needed cinematic work, so it will be a good blend. It's a fun game, very lighthearted but very well known so hopefully it will sell very very well! The thing I like most about games is that they are small teams, so you have a lot of say in what gets made, and how everything works. Unlike film, you have your one task and you do it without much discussion. In games, your opinion counts and everything is very team oriented.

Thanks for the tip about the BART-I'm hoping I can ride my bike to the station. I'd love to avoid a car on my daily commutes, unless its raining I guess. Keeps me in shape and helps the environment and everything.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I very well might be living in SF a year from now, because of college. So, I hope you enjoy it, because I probably won't if you won't ;).

scem0

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

congrats...you are in or near multimedia gulch, one of the birthplaces of multimedia...i went to school there, in the soma (south of market street district)...but don't walk around there, or the tenderloin, the mission, or hunter's point at night

otherwise, the city is a pretty nice place, as far as cities go

rent is high everywhere but for food, clothes, transportation, and other goods and services, sf can be reasonable if you do your homework...but if you go around and blindly use goods and services without comparison shopping, you will waste a lot of money since sf is geared for overcharging unsuspecting tourists ;)

if you want specifics about stores, restaurants, and services, feel free to pm me

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Nice for you, congratulations.

Do not forget to register for MWSF 05 ;)

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what school are you thinking about in sf?

12. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

you lucky, lucky ba$tard :D no, just kidding, you absolutely deserve it. SF is a great city. How about moving to Emeryville... it is cheap, and, well, you know... ;)

13. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yeah, good ol Emeryville....someday someday. I saw the signs for it and it was cool just to see that.

14. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    If you're making enough money, I'd recommend living in the city. While BART makes commuting from the east bay a breeze, you won't get the complete city experience if you live in Emeryville or Berkeley. Although if you live on the east bay you'll have to become an A's fan :D

15. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

What areas of SF are the best to live in? Like Jefhatfield mentioned, there's definitely places to stay away from. I'd prefer to rent a house over an apartment.

16. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

The Sunset District is a nice area, my sister used to rent the top floor of a house just a couple blocks off of 19th Ave. But it's on the other side of the city from the bay bridge, so you'll probably want something closer. Most anywhere north of Market St. is nice, though nice areas will be expensive. If you want to rent a whole house somewhere close the S.F. that isn't too expensive, then Alameda might be a good place. Or somewhere south of S.F. nearby BART that you could quickly take downtown.

17. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

19. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yeah... Frisco is way better.

Lee Tom

20. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The Art Institute

scem0

22. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

23. Bitman macrumors member

SF

Along with BART there is CalTrain which runs down the peninsula to San Jose. It is MUCH better than BART. You can also take your bike on CalTrain. I lived in Burlingame (near the airport) and the commute on CalTrain was excellent. It stops in SF right near SBC park. Burlingame is great but so is Palo Alto as Stanford is there. The nice thing about living near the train is you can get to the city (and connect to everywhere) without having to deal with parking or traffic. The East Bay is cool and Berkeley and Emeryville would be nice choices. But if you do drive to SF you have to take the bridge and if it is bad it is BAD. On the peninsula you at least have a choice.

Food in SF:
    Henry Chung's Hunan on Sansome and off Broadway.
    La Cumbre on Valencia
    Tulan on 6th south of Market
    Actually all the food is good in SF.

bit

24. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

While CalTrain is an option, it is not "MUCH better than BART" in my opinion. CalTrain is noisy as you are on a desiel powered train, unlike BART being an electronic train. It also seems more more like riding on a bus with the way the seats are layed out, vs. BART being a subway style setup. And you can take your bike on BART during off peak hours.