Moving to San Jose, scene advice?

Discussion in 'Community' started by patrick0brien, Apr 17, 2004.

1. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

Well, I have now officially accepted an offer with Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (the makers of the iPod Mini's 4gb drives) in Southern San Jose. So that means I'll be trading my 24 years of Chicagoan nativity to be a Bay-Area Californian in a few weeks.

Once settled, I'm going to want to see what is about for a 30 year old single guy who's moved past bar hopping and on to Lounges.

Any ideas of some nifty places for a guy like that? Any late-nighters?

Also, I'll probably be hosting a few 'social gatherings' with my future roomates, so stay tuned.

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Of course youre gonna visit the Apple HQ arnt u?

3. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

even if you are past bar hopping, make sure to check out Trials Pub , a little English pub on north first street. It has got a good vibe, no TV's and lots of very friendly 'down to earth' people. Not a 'pick up' bar, not a dive but no 'family bar' either. It has got it just right. :)

4. vniow macrumors G4

Nooooo! San Jose! Come visit down here in Santa Cruz, its much more interesting than the blandness which is San Jose and the surrounding cities...

Anyhoo, congrats on your job and I hope you enjoy it. I'd points you to some places down here but many are 21+ and I'm only 19....

I do know of some laid-back jazz places down here. Haven't been to a whole lot but I'd sure like to...

5. Kelvin macrumors member

Kelvin

I hope you have a nice car to commute in.

Gads. if you're gonna be living in Almaden or Morgan Hill... So boring...

At best you'll have to go at least 25 minutes to Palo Alto for any kind of decent entertainment. Most likely you'll probably want to travel up to SF. There's everything to do there. Living in the Bay Area you're pretty much doomed to have to drive everywhere in bad traffic.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

san jose is definitely bland and arguably the most ugly and uninteresting big city in the united states...before the high tech boom, it was rural and filled with argriculture and was actually quite serene...and beautiful...the oldtimers like me will tell you about all the fruit stands and enless orchards...but you can drive just south to gilroy/morgan hill to get the feeling of old san jose

but for some reason, it also has the lowest crime of any major city...he he...maybe the city's such an eyesore that it keeps criminals out ;)

there is a lot going in jazz in wine country north of sj if you like that and sometimes there are some good jazz shows at shoreline ampitheater...in downtown san jose, on bascom (one of the main roads), there is JJ's blues club and some jazz acts make their way there...right across the street is a guitar center and they know the music scene in the silicon valley fairly well...there's some jazz overall in the valley but not compared to a nyc or chicago...unfortunately you chose a flat, industrial, ugly, and culturally void city

the good news is that you are close to san francisco, arguably the prettiest city in the united states and full of great culture and there are a lot of good educational sources at nearby stanford and cal berkeley

as for high tech leads, 2600 or more high tech companies are in your vicinity so there is no place like it on earth for high tech...as of right now, there are still more techies than jobs but that will change...it's very cyclical in san jose...either it's booming or very barren in the job market and that's the nature of san jose...definitely good for go getters and not for the faint of heart

job hopping is an unfortunate reality and there is no corporate loyalty...at least in us based companies in high tech in the region

your basic urban and suburban region extends 100 miles north into wine country starting with marin county and including napa and sonoma counties and gets very rural past that all the way up to oregon...going east, you have the central valley which is huge in agriculture...going south, you have santa cruz and the monterey peninsula and it's more rural and quieter there and mostly residential and tourist with very little industry

and going west some, you have the pacific ocean

taken as a whole the area has three million people and is third in the state behind the los angeles region and the san diego region which are considerably bigger

but there is a long distance between the bay area/silicon valley and the la/san diego areas so it's almost as if california is split into two states making the dileneation somewhere between san luis obispo and santa barbara

you will find a rivalry between the two prosperous and politically liberal regions...lots of insults fly back and forth but in the end, traffic, pollution, high cost of living, and gov arnold are all things northern california and southern california have in common...we here in northern california don't have the same massive movie or music industry here as los angeles so we like to brag and say we have more refined culture and leave it at that

as for natural beauty, overall the entire region of northern california is beautiful, so i have no idea what the heck happened to san jose ;)...and when in san jose, get out every single weekend to keep your sanity

the dating scene is not good for men in silicon valley...it's all geeky guys so i don't see straight or gay people really having much of a choice in that department ;) ...but san francisco is just the opposite and a great singles place where people are in great shape and dress nicely and often cutting edge

if you were coming to san jose from a small rural, isolated town, then you might find the choices in everything endless...but coming from a much bigger entity like chicago, you may find the entire bay area small, lacking, and limited and you will do well here as long as you don't compare a world class city like chicago to an industrial and one trick pony city like san jose

you will be near apple inc but other apple stores in the area have better gear and selection...apple does have a small store on premises but understandably, they don't like to carry a lot of third party software or peripherals and that really bites and often shocks macheads who come there thinking they can find something unique

the best bet for mac gear/software, even here, is to shop the mac catalogs like cdr, mac warehouse, mac zone, and mac mall

for pc gear there are a few fry's computer/electronic superstores in the area and they are a techie's dream...that is if you are mostly a wintel person

i hope this helps

congrats on your new job with a major high tech player

7. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Having been to Santa Cruz, I can agree that it's an interesting and absolutely beautiful place...but if I'm remembering correctly, everything but restaurants, bars, and theatres closes at 6 pm. The shops, the malls, everything. I guess that might affect a resident less than a tourist like me, but still! rolling up the streets at barely dinnertime? :confused:

8. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

Hey thanks guys, this really helps.

Additional to my question, does the bay area have an entertainment portal like Chicago's www.metromix.com?

9. vniow macrumors G4

It depends on where you go, I know some of the downtown resturaunts close at 6 (!) but many of the shops are open later, the Capitola Mall (the only official mall in the area) stays open until 9 I think while a lot of the shops close around seven or eight. Its a pretty youth-oriented town, which is why a lot of the stuff closes so soon to outsiders and then the clubs open up. Its pretty nocturnal, you should see the line for the daily midnight movie at the Del Mar, it runs almost all the way to the end of the block by 11!

On the flipside, this means that you don't have to get up super-early to get to the interesting places, many of the good shops don't open until 11 or around noon or so.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

http://sfgate.com/eguide/

try this one

11. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien