Moving to the UK. Essentials?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by C-Mezak, Sep 1, 2004.

1. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Hey all,

Im about to move from San Francisco to Edinburgh for my studies. I picked up a couple world adapter kits from apple for my PB and ipod, but im wondering what other adapters/things I might need. For instance, I know that I will need an adapter if I wish to use my modem, but what about ethernet? Do UK and US network jacks differ?

What else am I forgetting??

Thanks
    Charlie

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

BT connector

you'll need a flatter wider looking plug, with the securing tab on the short edge.

The multi socket should help you gauge the correct proportion of the type you are looking for.

Attached Files:

3. C-Mezak thread starter macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Thanks very much, but you're talking about telephone connectors, right? I am prepared for that. What about ethernet connectors at the end of a cat5 cable? Are they universal or will I need an adapter to connect to my university's ethernet network?

Thanks
    Charlie

4. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

For this game, you will need....

Ethernet is the same stuff, just the power and the phone is different.
    Right hand drive cars and left side of the road. Petrol is criminal and so is the general price for everything.
    Tap water now complies to european standards and as a result tastes like crap. It seems the only way to keep water rates (bills) lower.

The thin red bit at the side of roads is not a pavement (sidewalk) keep clear, because every now and then a bus or a bike will use it, usually a line of three or more buses will pass at once. :) (that goes for buses everywhere)

Hand guns are illegal, but you may feel safer if you carry a small imitation plastic one. The best thing is to just give them your money. It's cheaper to earn money than waste your life looking for a policeman or a police station that is open. OH, and when they scream "give me your fecking mobile*!" give them your cell phone, your dentist will thank you for it. Dentists usually just charge a fortune for a polish, reconstructive work will prolly require a second mortgage.

*iPod is the same over here, but there is a shortage of supply. A change of headphone colour is recommended. ;)

5. C-Mezak thread starter macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Hehe thanks for the advice. Ive been to the Uk before, but never paid attention to things like computing standards.

My experience and what I've heard have told me that Edinburgh is a relatively safe city, at least in the areas I'm likely to frequent. I don't think a fake handgun will be necessary :rolleyes: , but I do not plan on using my apple earbuds! My parents are helping me out with accommodation, so I will have a place to stay and food to eat, but unless I find a good job I wont have much cash to speak of. I bought a plain brown backpack at a military surplus store and a sleeve for my 12" pb so as to keep a low profile as far as my hardware goes. Still, I'll be careful.

That's too bad about the tapwater, though it is pretty much what I'm used to here in California. Ill probably try to pick up a filtering pitcher or something to keep in my room.

Thanks again!!

Charlie

6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

you need a big coat in edinburgh, and dont forget to try the hagis...

are you going to uni in edinburgh (same as price william?)
    its a great uni that 9one

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Prince William goes to St Andrews not Edinburgh. But both are good Unis.

Edinburgh tapwater isn't too bad - it's infinitely better than London water! I'll drink water out of the tap there, not in London.

Should you need a Mac fix - Scotsys and John Lewis at least both sell Apples.
    They will be a lot dearer than you're used to though!

It is a pretty safe city - reminds me of SF a little. Lots of hills, fog coming in from the Forth, a red suspension bridge and a big rock with a former prison (the Castle does have one in it) in the middle! ;)

If you're a sports fan and need a fix of US Sports, baseball is shown on C5, NFL on Sky Sports with MNF on C5 - and there's also a satellite channel called NASN which had more baseball and college football.

8. RoadKill macrumors member

Hand guns are illegal, but you may feel safer if you carry a small imitation plastic one. :eek:

D00d don't do this what so ever! This could be considered a criminal offence if you get it out.

There was a guy in london shot dead by the police for brandishing a cigarette lights shaped like a gun.

9. Mountaineagle macrumors newbie

C-Mezak,

Welcome to Scotland (I'm from Glasgow), lots of English, Irish, Welsh and International students go to Edinburgh and Glasgow, so you will have lots of different, friendly people to meet.

The ones to be careful of are the ones that wear baseball caps(usually Burberry), white trainers and shell suits - they are called neds. Some of them are just trying to look tough, but others are plain crazy (ie. carry knives). Neds normally stay out of good areas (they are too easy to spot), but just be careful. Overall, I always feel safe when I go to Edinburgh. See this website for more Ned info: http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/chewinthefat/neds/index.shtml

Regarding Apple local support(as mentioned in an earlier post), see the website for Scotsys: http://www.scotsys.co.uk/ and John Lewis http://www.johnlewis.com/

But remember that you can purchase Apple products from Apple's own on-line store at an educational discount, but you can only access the website from a computer that is within your University. Apple changed this in the last month or so, because you were able to access it from home before. Here is the web site: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/routingpage.html

10. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

A few words of caution for anywhere in the UK:
    - Large sums of cash must be hidden in your shoes.
    - Mobile phones must be kept discret.
    - Wearing iPod headphones is like having a big sign on you saying "MUG ME !".
    - If you see a group of described in scotland as "neds", calmly turn around and take a detour or just face down as you walk.
    - Wearing a hooded sweater helps you bend into the surrounds.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why do you need to take more precautions in Edinburgh than you do at home?

And are "Neds" really that bad? What do they do to you, exactly? They a gang or something, or white trailer trash types? Oh wait, the Burberry hats. They rich guys trying to play tough?

12. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

They're the good old-fashioned scum of the earth types. Basically the closest thing to describe them in US terms is trailer park white trash-mostly unemployed or unemployable, wear a uniform of 'prison-white' trainers, branded sportswear(usually fake), baseball caps, too much cheap tacky gold jewellery. Tend to hang around in gangs trying to find something to steal/deface/vandalise or screw. they tend to speak cross between English and Chimp called ****wit. All sentences end in 'innit' and contain the words 'faarrrrkk' or 'yaaaaah caaaarrrrnt'. Most of them tend to be mostly harmless but a pissed up chav/ned can be quite nasty if you happen to look at his girlfriend or laugh at him.

Fro more details checkout chavscum.co.uk

13. C-Mezak thread starter macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Hehe I have to admit that Edinburgh's resemblance to SF is a major reason I decided to go there. It was betwen UoE and Kings College in London, and I just felt at home in Edinburgh.

Thanks so much for all of the advice, fellas!! Last I was there I don't think I spotted any of these Neds, but I will keep an eye out.

Of course I will not wear my apple earbuds. Ive got some cheap discrete black ones that hang over my ears. I have long hair, too so even they won't be very noticable.

And I think the best way to stay safe in a big city is to make lots of friends. I do tend to be a loner, but I probably won't go out much at night unless Im with a group of people.

While we're talking about local businesses, what other recommendations would you guys have for a poor college student? What are the cheapest places to eat? buy clothes? etc.? I'm going to get started looking for a job right away when I arrive, but even if I find one, school won't afford me time and energy to earn much.

I love you guys. Thanks for the advice!

Charlie

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I don't think the UK is as bad as you're suggesting. If Charlie was coming from Smallville, I might agree. But since he's from San Francisco I reckon he has enough big city smarts to survive in a pretty civilised Edinburgh.

Hiding money in your shoes seems extreme if not uncomfortable - I'd hate to be the sales assistant getting the sweaty notes. I'd suggest that generally these days, you don't need to carry large amounts of cash. I use my debit card for anything over £10 and just take out £40 or so at a time which if you lose, well, hey it happens.

Agree with this one - particularly late at night at bus-stops/stations. Don't leave it lying on the table while in a coffee shop, you'd be amazed at what kids will try to distract you with (maps/petitions etc) while another swipes the phone from underneath.

Again, I'd suggest common sense. Late at night or in 'dodgy' areas, it's not a good idea. Then again, it's not a good idea to listen to music then in any case since you're less aware of people creeping up behind you.

And from Abstract
    Nope - one equivalent might be trailer trash. The Burberry caps are cheap knock-offs which they seem to have adopted as a uniform. They tend to hang around in groups, particularly in dodgy areas and can come across as threatening if you're in their patch.

Chavscum - that was the website I was trying to think of!

15. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I just got back from London, UK and connected my PowerBook to my brother's cable modem using the exact same type of connector cable as I use here in Canada (and that I used in Los Angeles and Houston).

The only (slight) problem I had concerned how the ISP delivered IP addresses. Every time we switched from my brother's computer to mine, we had to unplug the modem and let it re-cycle; something I've never had to do at home or elsewhere.

The first day in London, I wasn't able to pick up a wireless network, but after a couple of days, I detected a Linksys network in parts of the flat and was able to use that. The signal was not very strong but it worked for retrieving email from my own ISP (but not for sending for some reason) and surfing the net. I even ftp'd new pages to my web site.

I would hold off on buying a bunch of adapters etc. until you actually get there. I bought an adapter in Amsterdam so I could plug in my PB at the airport, but that same adapter was useless in London.

As a side note. If you happen to get on an airbus 330 on the way over - that's the one with the individual tv screens at every seat, you can also plug in your laptop - a fact that is not advertised, and I only found out about after I had completed that leg of my journey :(

OH, and buy a umbrella. M

16. Mustafa macrumors regular

Let's just be clear about one thing -- you're gonna be much safer going about your business in Edinburgh than in equivalent-size US cities.

As with anywhere, just avoid the more obvious rough areas, and you'll be fine. Use sensible security precautions at your accommodation, just as you would at home.

17. C-Mezak thread starter macrumors regular

C-Mezak

again, many thanks, guys!

Sounds like common sense will serve me best. Edinburgh (like San Francisco) does seem to be a prety safe place. I'm not a loud guy or a flashy dresser, so Im not too worried about being mugged. I will be carrying around a PB and iPod most of the time, but I won't look like it.

You guys are great. Thanks again
    Charlie

18. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Just a hint: look at the shoes :D

We were on the tube going from downtown London out to the suburbs and a "beggar" got on with his little sign and schpeel about how he was sleeping on the street and needed money for food. When he finally passed through the car and left us alone, my nephew pointed out that the guy was wearing almost new shoes that were selling for £120 at "size?" - a UK shoe chain.

Apparently there are "professionals" among beggars too.

m

19. Gee macrumors 65816

**** chaps, don't scare the guy!

Charlie, just bring a sense of humor, you'll be fine. Oh, and by the way, humor is spelled with another u over here.

20. C-Mezak thread starter macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Haha, don't worry. I know I'll be fine.

But you do bring up another question I'd forgotten to ask:

Ill be studying philosophy among other things and this means I'll be doing a lot of writing. I've heard that most professors won't mind if I use American or British spelling so long as I choose one and stick with it, but just in case I have to do things the English way, will it be easy for me to find spell checkers that will lend me a hand?

Despite the exaggerations being perpetrated in this thread, I'm really looking forward to being in Edinburgh. The flight on the other hand . . . well that's a topic for another forum.

Later
    charlie

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Develop a taste for curry... and chips (fries but chunkier)

And fanny does not mean what it does in the US :)

22. Mountaineagle macrumors newbie

C-Mezak,

We are NOT exaggerating. When we mention Neds, they are only a very small part of the population, but some of them (typically because they are unemployed) wander around looking for trouble during the day time, particularly in the main shopping areas. Remember that the police know who they are, and are always on the look out. I have lived in lots of places over the last 8 years (California, New York, Sydney, Munich, etc.) and in returning home I do see there are now more people to be wary of in the streets. Some foreigners think Scotland is just a cute little place. It is :), but we do have our idiots too! I mentioned Neds on this thread, not to get off the main topic of apple products, not to be your parents, but just to make sure you have a great time in Scotland without getting any cool apple products taken off you!

Regarding spelling issues for University essays, I'm currently finishing off an MSc Finance, and 85% of the class is foreign, so lecturers are used to different spelling approaches. Just check with lecturers, but they normally do not mind "Americanised" spelling. Also, change the setting in Microsoft Word to UK spelling, and Word picks up the difference in UK & American English.

Finally, seems obvious to say, but bring ALL your software CD's. Some of the international students in my class have been stumped because they only brought their laptops and no CD's. Some of the laptops crashed, others stolen (lets not go there again!) and on other occasions MS Word requested for the original CD to be installed again so that certain add-ons could be installed.

Finally #2, not sure about Edinburgh, but other Universities (I'm at Strathclyde University) do provide full wireless networks, so may be an idea to have a wireless card installed and tested before you come across. A number of students bring their laptops into the library and use the wireless networking facilities because it is warmer there than in their accomodation!

Good luck!

23. C-Mezak thread starter macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Your cautions are much appreciated.

I'll definitely leave my things safe in my *private* and *insured* dorm room as much as possible - especially at first until I have a good sense of when and where it is safe to tread with my hardware. Ive been to the UK 3 times in the past 3 years and I haven't noticed the Neds. Just lucky I guess.

Yes I will bring my CDs with me. Now that I think of it I'll also burn some backups of my important stuff to keep on hand.

You would think that a university with as strong a comp sci department as Edinburgh has would also have a great network, but from what I can tell the university network that I'll have access to in my dorm room is heavily restricted. I need to figure out how to set up ssh port forwarding to a server back home in order to use instant messaging or play warcraft. And I haven't heard a word about university wireless areas! I do have a 12" rev c pb so Ive got an AE card. There are other hotspots around Edinburgh that I can use.

Thanks again
    Charlie

24. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Probably true - I've only been threatened by the chavs/neds once. That was by a pissed-up tosser and his mate in Stoke who was really looking for a fight with anyone. I think I bored him by not rising to the bait and being assertive, non-aggressive (which is an interesting position they don't really understand)

25. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Bring an umbrella and a healthy dose of "anti European continent" scare :)

Enjoy, it will be fun