moving videos to the iPod without syncing

Discussion in 'iPod' started by vgoklani, Oct 5, 2006.

1. vgoklani macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2004

I am a bit new with all this iPod stuff, but I have a quick question: I have a 5G video iPod, and I would like to manually move videos onto the iPod, *without* keeping a copy within iTunes. The reason being that my main hard drive is practically filled up. I only see options of doing an automatic sync, and everything gets erased if I unselect this option.
  2. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2006
    I did this at first after getting my 5G. I used this method. 1) Add the video to your playlist, but have the command to "copy files to itunes" in the advanced tab unchecked. 2) add the file and sync your ipod. then delete the original file off your computer and an exclamation point will pop up next the file in itunes to denote it is no longer in its original location. The iPod when synced again will not erase the copy off the iPod but will pop up a message saying it couldn't sync it or somthing like that, I can't remember, but you can check the message to not show again, I think.

If you mean to add it regularly you just have the "manually manage iPod" option checked and add it by click and dragging it.