Mozilla 1.0 *TWICE* as fast as Netscape 6.2

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldMac, Apr 21, 2002.

1. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Okay, I'd heard people saying that Mozilla was faster than IE on the Mac. I really couldn't believe it based upon my experiences running Netscape 6.2, which is based on an earlier build of Mozilla.

Now, I've tested the Mozilla 1.0 release candidate on my G3 400Mhz machine with cable modem connection. Here are the average page load time results in seconds to download and render a page:

Netscape 6.2.1 vs. Mozilla 1.0RC1

CNN
    10.1 vs 5.0

Macintouch
    2.7 vs. 1.5

Slashdot
    3.5 vs 1.9

MacRumors
    3.7 vs 1.9

These numbers are all based upon what the browser is reporting in the bottom of the window. (And they seem to check out using a watch.)

Now, if they could only make a build of Netscpae/Mozilla that didn't take FOREVER to start up.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Wow. And I thought Netscape was fast (compared to Communicator).

Apparently I will be waiting for the final release...that is, if the Release Candidate isn't it.

What exactly is a release candidate?

Any time is a great time for iPod.

3. PCUser macrumors regular

"The mozilla1.0 RC1 entry above is for Release Candidate 1 of the Mozilla 1.0 milestone. We expect there to be at least two release candidates before the final 1.0 release, to gather talkback and broad community testing results. Drivers and various contributors cooperating on the 1.0 branch will not finalize 1.0 until it is "good enough" (but not "too late") by the criteria laid out in the Mozilla 1.0 manifesto."

http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

ya IE on my PC draws pages SO much faster than my mac. although I'm the kind of person who likes to have a lot of windows open at the same time, and its a bit difficult to do that in win IE

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Yeah Windows IE sucks
    there are so many security holes its not funny

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

the only speed issues I've seen with IE is when comparing it's speed in X as to 9...it seems to still pull the same #'s when doing speed tests though...

7. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Mozilla is berry fast.

If you don't believe how much faster Mozilla is than IE, OW, or Netscape, just try installing it. The one thing you can't deny Mozilla is that fact that it runs fast. You may not like how it works or the way it renders or its features, etc., etc...but the dang thing is fast as heck.

Just give it a shot and see for yourself. You will notice a large speed increase in rendering guaranteed or your money back.

Matthew