Mozilla 1.1 Alpha release and it...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Backtothemac, Jun 19, 2002.

?

Which browser do you use

1. IE

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Omni Web

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Mozilla / Netscape

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

ROCKS!

My God this is awesome! It seems more stable than 1.0, has a better Download manager, and if we could just get pinstripes on it like Omniweb, it would be the bomb. Anyway the look isn't too bad, and the AA is great. Widgets are not aqua, but who cares, this thing is friggin fast.

Go get it and test it.

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Do you have the link for it? In the past i've stayed away from mozilla. Like netscape it was just too bloated, with uneccessary features that slowed it down too much for my taste.

If it's becoming more slim-line, i'll gladly try it out.

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Mozilla 1.1 Alpha release and it...

I completely agree with you on this one, B2TM. I use it almost exclusively now. OW is my backup.

I will be very interested in seeing OW 5.0, though. They are talking about much faster rendering and less errors. Its great to see browser competition that doesn't revolve around MS. I plan on never using IE again!!!

Taft

4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Even with some added bloat, it has always been faster than IE at all tasks except initial launch, and at least as fast as all the other browsers.

I hope that the Chimera project gives us the holy grail shortly. Aquafied, Mozilla speed, without the added clients for mail & news....ummm, tasty.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

sorry Alpha...

I think I'm gonna have to try this out...I keep hearing so much good press about it's performance.

Is it really that significant compared to IE 5.2??

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It is fantastic! Sooooo fast! :D
    I think it may now have to be my main browser, I just love it!

7. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Does anyone have any good links for mozilla skins?

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

10. PCUser macrumors regular

Perhaps my mileage in x86 Linux is different, but the only speed difference between Mozilla 1.0 and 1.1alpha seems to be the launch speed (which is great, but 1.1alpha's launch speed seems to have slowed down to the same speed as 1.0 since I've had it... weird).

Plus, 1.1 is buggy compared 1.0. I've had it lock up the browser several times using tabbed browsing. Never had 1.0 lock up or crash, but the alpha of 1.1 has done so several times... of course, that's why it's alpha, and that's why I report bugs. But I'd call 1.1 alpha anything but rock solid.

Also, KC, I installed the Pinball theme in 1.0 and it works just fine in 1.1. In fact, all of the themes I installed in 1.0 work just fine in 1.1.

Is the Mac version of Mozilla that different from the x86 Linux version?

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I just downloaded Mozilla 1.1a last night. I was very dissatisfied with how buggy 1.0 (OS X) seemed. Sometimes when I clicked an image link, I would be taken to the image and not the link. Sometimes when I viewed an image directly (http://...whatever.jpg), it would load properly once and then Mozilla would say it was corrupt if I tried to load it again. Sometimes, the browser would become such that whenever I clicked on a link, nothing would happen. It also crashed about once ever ~12 hours... although it much have some kind of built-in crashing AI that knows just when it shouldn't crash and then does it. :)

The Composer part of Mozilla, of course, was incredibly buggy in 1.0 just as it always has been.

I like the AA text a lot, though, and the fact that Moz renders pretty much everything correctly, is quite quick (except for its interface), blocks popups and other annoying JavaScript ditties, and has tabs has me sold, for the moment at least. :)

Alex

12. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

works fine for me

So far, I've enjoyed using Mozilla 1.0 and 1.1 Alpha. It hasn't crashed on me too many times, and it actually displays the ESPN baseball gamecast Java Applet just fine (unlike Omni and Chimera). All in all, I'm quite satisfied--I want to avoid using bloatware like IE if I can.

13. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Attached Files:

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Well so far I've downloaded it...seems to pull up pages pretty quick. I did a speed test of 411.com, and it doesn't seem to really make a difference there. But it seems decent enough where I would use it if I needed it. I still don't know the advantage of it otherwise.

15. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, the tabbed browsing is one of them over IE. It has a decent integrated mail app. Another thing to consider is that the speed is rather fast. Especially over the other browsers out there. Use it for a day, then go back to IE. You will see the difference.

16. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I'm giving Mozilla 1.1alpha a day to impress me. I'll be back later with my views. So far so good though. Looks like they might be onto a winner here.

17. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i guess i'm still the only person finding chimera to suit 90% of my usage needs...interesting.

18. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Actually, I think that once Chimera gets to 1.0 it will be the best, but by then it will have been assimulated into the mothership.:D

19. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I still love chimera. As soon as it hits 1.0 i'll be sticking with that full-time. I just find it has too many bugs at the moment. For example: it sometimes jumps around when you press the spacebar in a text field (on macrumors at least), the java support isn't there yet, you can't copy a link to the clipboard to paste it later (by right-clicking)...... just things that need to be ironed out. I'll still be checking it out at every release, keeping an eye on the development..... the chimera UI is my favourite of all the browsers.