Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Hey,

Firebird (formally Phoenix) was recently ported to Mac OS X. I run firebird on my pc, but camino on my mac - how does firebird compare to camino on osx?

What was the point in releasing firebird for mac?? Both are just chopped down versions of mozilla really.

Any of you prefer Firebird to Camino? I much prefer camino - its really fast. I installed Firebird but removed it straight away - i like to keep pc apps as pc apps; when i'm using my mac i like to forget about my pc!!

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I'm using the Windows version right now and it is fast!!
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Haven't had time to check out the OSX version yet though...

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
Firebird is a very good start to what Mozilla should be; once it matures it will eventually replace Mozilla Navigator. Is it just me or is Firebird actually the fastest browser on OS X? I find it faster then camino and slightly faster then Safari while loading pages, feels like IE on a PC (looks kinda like it too).

mim

macrumors 6502
Originally posted by vniow
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Yeh, I just put it on the old Dell - fast indeed. There are still some little bugs (like this text box I'm typing into has only come up at half the page width - weird!), but it feels (and <SNIFF> smells) pretty stable. Have found one page so far that it won't render.

ice: yeah, it's a pity that it looks so much like ie. Would be nice to change that.

a.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
am i crazy or do they not have phoenix/firebird icon sets for your DLing pleasure? mozilla is like this, as is camino (with a little mod); i don't see why they wouldn't... in fact, i think i have seen them when looking for mozilla themes.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i think my browser of choice is up in the air until the end the year.

safari is simple but lacks some features. but i don't think it should have more. it should stay the way it is. kicking the ass of IE, that's it's only purpose.

camino is making a great browser for the mac. i love these guys.

firebird will be... a matter of wait-and-see. at first they didn't care about OS X but they have since shown interest and finally, formally given support. in time this could in fact prove to be my browser of choice. just not yet.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Originally posted by melchior
i think my browser of choice is up in the air until the end the year.

I agree. I loved Safari for its Mac presentation and simplicity, but any idea that it was fast was blown away when I found Camino.

Browsers pop up on the screen in different ways, and on sheer response time, Opera is lightening off the mark, but by the time you are able to do anything with the final rendering its time for bed. Camino's way does it for me, but I hope Safari develops to the same speed and only bloats to the extent of including SafariEnhancer features with for instance a toggle function for brushed metal on and off.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by vniow
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

same here. Slight;y better than Opera. :)

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by mim
Yeh, I just put it on the old Dell - fast indeed. There are still some little bugs (like this text box I'm typing into has only come up at half the page width - weird!), but it feels (and <SNIFF> smells) pretty stable. Have found one page so far that it won't render.

ice: yeah, it's a pity that it looks so much like ie. Would be nice to change that.

a.

I love the windows version :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.