Mozilla Firefox version 2.0 alpha 1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bousozoku, Mar 21, 2006.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yesterday, I downloaded this to see if there were some improvements.

So far, it looks as if they haven't made many changes though the bookmark manager has been changed again. The tabs have a click and close icon on them now.

Stability doesn't seem to be affected though extensions have to be updated for compatibility.

Attached Files:

2. ucscc10 macrumors member

i feel somewhat dumb for asking, but where exactly did you find the download link?

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

do the old extensions work? particularly adblock, flashblock, the del.icio.us one, and fasterfox

4. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I don't remember exactly now. Try http://www.mozilla.org/ I suspect that I was reading Ars Technica or Infoworld when I found it.

Ummm, that was the part where I mentioned that extensions have to be updated for compatibility, so no. Sorry, if I didn't make that clear.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

sorry, missed that :eek:

6. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Kirbdog

Feels Very Faster

I had to give it a try. Feels very fast on G4 powerBook, no hiccups as of yet.
    Ability to search web history nice feature, imported preferences and bookmarks at start up. I like when I don't even have to change my homepage.
    Camino still does a superior job at ad-blocking.
    I'll run it for a few days and see how it shakes out, so far I like what I have seen.

OSX Version here

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't think they could have released a more underwhelming 2.0 alpha. It takes some pretty close looking to find any differences between 2.0 and 1.5.

8. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

this release should be 1.5.1 not 2.0. its basically 1.5 without the ability to use any of my extensions...

9. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

It's an alpha, it's not going to be feature complete.

Not only that, but it's the first alpha for version 2.

It'll be months before everything is in place.

10. howesey macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is an alpha.

Not even half of places (the new history manager) has yet to be implemented. Version 2.0 is a branch off 1.5, so nothig hugely new will be implemented, and a lot of bugs will be fixed.

I'm currently testing trunk builds for version 3.0. Cairo, which will be a new rendering engine, will take full use of your 3D card to render the graphics (on Mac OS X it will ue Quartz). Cairo is not fully implemented on OS X, however you can notice a huge difference already - tasks take up to 1/4 the time version 1.5 takes.

Cairo has been implented on Windows, and boy it is a difference.

11. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Dumb Question Ahead-I noticed I am running a very outdaed version of firefox(1.0.3). Does firefox have an updater or do I have to download the whole thing again? Have there been any major changes since 1.0.3? Also if I do have to download the whole thing again what is the most stable version out there?
    Thanks

12. Dr. No macrumors regular

Where can I get a Cairo-enabled build of Firefox?? :confused:

13. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I've already noticed good differences with version 2.0, especially in regards to plug-in performance. Glad to see that progress is being made.

If you have this:
    Help menu->Check for Updates...

It should only download the bits and pieces. If not, you'll have to download the whole thing. I'm not sure whether it will download all of 1.5.0.1 but that's the current production version.

14. howesey macrumors 6502a

That's only a feature that was implemented in 1.5. You'll have to download it all again. No worries, you will not loose anything.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The alpha version altered all my custom search engines (made xml files of them and threw away all my little favicons that I've made to go with all the src files).

It has also turned of all my extensions, even when I'm back in good old Firefox 1.5.0.1.

I wasn't too happy, to put it mildly... :mad:

I had to replace my whole Firefox profile from backup to get everything back to normal.

16. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

It was your choice to use it. It's always interesting to me to find people who expect test versions of software to do nothing wrong or better yet, anything different.

I'm just glad you backed up things prior to installing.

I've noticed a few lock ups in the past 24 hours with this. There also seems to be a time-based rendering problem. Nice to see that corruption hasn't been totally wiped out. :p

[EDIT]
    My great experiment has ended as the application ate its own bookmarks and became unusable. It should be interesting to see the next available iteration, though.
    [/EDIT]

17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, I know... but I usually try new Firefox versions without too much worry... (but I do keep current backups of my bookmarks and search engines just in case something frell things up... ;))

I decided very quickly that this alpha 1 wasn't something I would spend too much time with... deleted it off my HD, and I'm going to wait patiently for at least the beta... ;)

18. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Well, I lasted about 5 days using it. Obviously, the bookmarks corruption must have been constant since it became progressively worse, but that's nothing new. I've had bookmark troubles ever since the original Mozilla betas.

While 1.5.0.1 doesn't work as quickly, it certainly starts up and shuts down instantly.

19. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Alpha 3 is available now

Alpha 3 has been available recently. It has Google's anti-phishing technology.

So far, it seems reasonably speedy and more stable. It was supposed to be feature complete in this Alpha release but I'm not sure that's true.

Attached Files:

20. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ooo. That's something I'm eager to try out. Been playing around wiht IE7 beta (I know...got the old PC back from repair so I thought I'd amuse myself!) and that has some impressive (so far) anti-phishing technology.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is 2.0 the version at which Firefox Mac was supposed to be more "Mac-esque?" Does it make any more use of Cocoa goodies or anything like that?

22. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

No Cocoa goodies that I've seen but the numerous bug fixes have helped quite a lot. They have said that they would make the Mac version much better and I think that it's certainly going to be less of a RAM and processor hog. Firefoxy, for current versions, takes care of those ugly standard web buttons. I'm sure the extension writers will catch up once the thing has gone to beta. Only one of my extensions was ready.

Remember to back up your Firefox folder in your user area under ./Library/Application Support. You'll feel better when you tire of all the Firefox extensions that don't work yet.