Mozilla gets an aqua makeover!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AmbitiousLemon, Mar 17, 2002.

1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Attached Files:

2. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

It's still ugly :(

I love the tabs for the windows, though. It's a mighty fine feature.

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I like Omniweb because of its look and wicked features.

I personally prefer the smaller version of buttons etc... (Take a look at the attachment:

Let me know if you like it smaller or bigger.

Ensign

Attached Files:

4. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i liked omniweb for a long time too. but its soooo slow. i mean i moved from ie to other things because ie was slow. every comaprison ive seen shows omniweb as slower than ie. also omniweb renders pages incorrectly about 50% of the time. that just makes it unusable to me.

mozilla is fast and now it looks like any other aqua app so im very happy. i havent found a page yet that it renders improperly and updates come frequently (unlike omniweb that hasnt released a new version in months). frankly i think omniweb is dead. as dead as ie. it was good in its day but it is yesterday's news. with the mozilla code reaching version 1.0 and macho/chimera builds demonstrating blazing speeds and frequent updates i think omniweb is dead. chimera .2 will be the death toll for omni im afraid.

beej... ugly? its just calling the graphics from osx. these arent someone's own drawings they are just being called from osx. im not sure what you see as ugly unless you are saying aqua is ugly.

EDIT: wow i just noticed this so i thought i would add it. i was originally using a macho build of mozilla which is always blazing in speed but when i applied the pinstripe theme to the normal build of mozilla .99 i found that it seems to speed up opening new windows and such. perhaps this is because osx is handling the graphics? any ideas?

5. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

ummm omniweb isn't dead..... they release builds of the next release almost daily and they get better all the time

check it out at http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/software/MacOSX/.sneakypeek/

i love omniweb, mozilla would be nice if it rendered text like omniweb and had a better aqua look... until then omniweb is my browser of choice

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

7. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

I like it...

I am using it already.

Thanks, AL.

So it doesn't use Quartz rendering. I would rather have something fast than something pretty (although I would eventually like both). I use a Mac because it works better, not because it's prettier.

Chris

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

OmniWeb

is sooo slow. Try going to the apple store in it. It takes me about 15 seconds on a cable modem! I switched to Mozilla, and now it takes like 2 seconds.

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hey!

I am using Mozilla 0.99+ and it says that the theme was made for a different version. Do I need 0.98?

10. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

nope. im using .99 and it worked just fine. installed well in mozilla .99 and mach-O mozilla .99+

i really dont understand what you people who say it is ugly are talking about. its just aqua. its not like some guy tried to make it look like aqua, all he did was use osx's built in theme. its as aqua and as good looking as any part of osx.

what i meanth by omniweb is dead is that they havent released a single update in months. they have been in 4.1b forever with no signs of ever coming out with something new any time soon. they cant render pages properly and they are one of the slowest browsers around. all they have is looks. and with chimera being updated quickly and being the fastest browser available for osx i was saying that omniweb is dead. because they arent keeping up with the competition.

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hmmm

When I try it in 99+, the program quits. I reboot it, and it has a netscape type look to it.

12. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

hm, i dunno what to tell you. the guy who is working on it is pretty friendly and responds quickly. maybe he can give you some pointers.

13. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i'm telling you omniweb is NOT DEAD... in fact they update the browser a whole heck of a lot... check out their sneaky peaks--they are usually stable and they are much faster than the public release (i posted the link to the sneaky peaks in a previous post--PLEASE go check them out)

14. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

OW dead...

When all of this started, Kishba, it was AL who was the OW supporter. Having exchanged a few posts with him on this, I know that he has checked out some fairly recent sneakypeeks. The thing that makes OW look as if it is dead is that a) even with the latest sneakypeek (which I downloaded yesterday), it is still much slower than Chimera, which is only at ver 0.2 (soon!). The only thing OW has had going for it is that it's the only browser using Quartz anti-aliasing. Chimera (which runs on the same Gecko engine Mozilla uses, so it's fast as hell) promises to add this with v 0.2). With a fast browser adding Quartz, OW (a slow browser) must make huge strides to catch up.

I still root for OW. I have read all about their development team and believe they can make OW the browser it can be. They have a long uphill struggle, though. Look at how long it took for Mozilla to be viable.

You're right, Kishba--OW isn't dead at all. But when Chimera 0.2 comes out, it will have to fight to be the standard browser for those who like pretty and fast software.

Chris

15. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

OmniWeb may be slow, but it's pretty. And that's the main thing.

If I wanted something fast, I'd buy an Athlon.

But I like pretty things, that's whay I own a Mac, use OS X, and like OmniWeb.

Don't flame me, I'm just joking ;)

Kinda...

16. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i also use ow because it's pretty.... i use the web to read and appreciate the antialiasing it provides

(and i do use a different browser--ie--when visiting the apple store because ow is slow at rendering it)

and i do hope ow & chimera compete... competition is what the world needs... that's why i love os x--it gives the little guys the ability to catch up to the big guys (that's why omniweb has a chance to be better than ie)

.02 is very, very valuable.... pretty soon macrumors.com will be worth trillions...

17. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

ow is fast and looks great. if you wont check out the sneakypeeks, then shut the hell up aboout lack of updates and OW being dead. We have all tried to pull your head out of the sand, just look at other threads. I like you AL, but you gotta shutup about OW. They are hardcore programmers and are working their butts off. I run sp58 right now and its SOOOO close. Java is perfect now. HTML is close. The Apple store is an anomaly that is documented in the changelogs as being a focus. Some things you gotta do yourself, like flash Plugins, for best performance. I'm willing to learn a little here. Remember i came from the PC world and was pretty knowledgeable of Linux as well. You seem patient, but you are running out of patience with a product for lack of updates without validity.

Check my thread in Software rumors for the link.

18. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I just downloaded Mozilla to see what all the fuss is about. I usually use OW 4.1 beta (how do you get the sneaky peaks?).

My first impression of Mozilla is that it is like greased lightning. This thing renders pages sooo much faster than OW.

BUT. I will continue to use OW. First, I appreciate the hard work the Omnigroup folks are putting into creating a Cocoa browser, and I want to support that development. But more importantly, for me it just doesn't make sense to trade the aesthetic appeal (not to mention standard OS X preference panes and all the Cocoa goodies like spell check) of Omni for a faster yet bulkier (and certainly uglier, even with the pinstripe theme) browser like Mozilla. Chimera looks promising, and maybe 6 months from now may be my broswer of choice, but for right now, OmniWeb is the best I've seen.

Tabbed windows confuse me, anyway :)

Just my $.02 :)

19. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

dude talk about someone needing to pull their head out of the sand. dude try reading the thread before you attack someone. as chmorely pointed out all this started with me raving about ow. i download sneakypeaks on a very regular basis. im saying they are dead because they havent released anything for the public and even their "sneaky" updates dont compete with the competition. the onlt thing ow has going for it is quartz and soon they wont be the only one with that.

and as long as we are encouraging people to pull their heads out of the sand why dont you do so also and check out all the more secret parts of chimera and mozilla. mozilla is fully aquafied now (which incidently makes it much faster). chimera .2 builds make it much more usable. and mach-O builds are amazing (especially with an aqua theme). perhaps you should get your head out of the ow haze you are in. i was there once but i opened my eyes and saw that there are better options available to me.

i use mozilla and/or mach-o builds now. (dont even have ie installed anymore). with the aqua front end its really fast and not a pain on the eyes as the modern theme was.

ow is cool because it was the first browser to really take advantage of osx. in fact it was one of the first apps out there for osx. pretty amazing. i really like some of the options and preferences in it. but development has stagnated. sure they have "sneaky" updates but they havent given the public anything in quite some time. if you read my list of osx bugs and ideas on hwo to fix them you will notice i refer to solutions ow used a number of times. ow is truly something to learn from as far as good programming is concerned. but in a world where every other browser renders pages correctly 99.99% of the time while being 3 ot 4 times as fast there just isnt any room for ow on my computer anymore. ill check it out every couple of days to see if things have improved (guess i still hold oyut some hope that things will change) but even with ow's head start on the competition it seems the mozilla monolith has caught up and left ow spinning its wheels.

20. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i'm excited about chimera, BUT. a big but. i will not try it until it utilizes quartz. until then i cannot go back. omni just looks too good and i am spoiled. if chimera can pull off the AA, have a passable skin, and still pull off blazing speed, then I'll switch. Simple. I restate that I will NOT downloads another browser until there is one with quartz rendering and AA.

21. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

my thoughts exactly... ow is just really really spiffy

22. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

OWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!

Just thought that was funny.

Really, though, OW does keep getting faster. The latest sneakypeek is noticeably faster than the last. Of course, it's still half as fast as Mozilla and 1/3 as fast as Chimera, but it's continuing to show promise.

AL, I couldn't follow the link you posted for the weekly builds of Mozilla. Are these as fast as mach-o?

Chris

23. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

well there are daily builds of mozilla at www.mozilla.org or more specifically at http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest/mozilla-macosX-trunk.smi.bin but what i have been using is at: http://homepage.mac.com/risc_abacus/ which is macho-o. i used the riscky's personal mach-o builds, but with the speed increase in mozilla since i installed the pinstripe theme i havent been using mach-o much. there was supposed to be a new weekly build today but it seems it hasnt been posted yet. he seems pretty good but seems to work on it only if people email him so he knows people need his builds.

(btw the pinstripe link at risky's place is OLD, dont use it)

24. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

Slow is OmniWeb running on my NeXTStation Turbo Color (68040 @ 33MHz). That's slow.

blakespot

25. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

for anyone who is interested the pinstripe theme has been updated so that people who had problems with it on a .99+ build of mozilla can use it problem free.

also i tested it with the latest mach-o .99+ build and it works like a charm.