Mozilla takes advantage of recent IE security holes

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 3, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502

I recommend that all IE users on Windows switch to Mozilla FireFox. I gave the advice to two clients and the one I heard back from really loves FireFox and can't believe how inferior IE is.

3. macrumors 68020

I agree with the above member's suggestion. I use Firefox at work, and it has to be my favorite browser for the PC, hands down. Just try it, you can always switch back... but you won't. ;)

4. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And unlike switching to a Mac, you can switch to Firefox for free :D

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if Apple were to make an OS X "live CD" for x86? In other words, a bootable CD containing the OS and a few apps, but it would not be possible to install the OS onto a hard drive or install additional applications. It would let Windows users try out the OS though, without spending a cent :)

5. macrumors regular

Linux PPC did that.
    It was the slowest thing second to only cold molasses.

6. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I see. But I'm sure Apple could do a better job than a no-name Linux distributor :)

7. macrumors 68040

shamino

Nice idea, but why would any company go through all of the trouble to port a system like OS X to a new platform if they have no intention of actually selling anything for that platform.

If you can only run the few bundled apps, you can get the same effect with a Shockwave applet - you won't have to port the OS and you won't have to worry about hackers figuring out how to bypass your no-install security restrictions.