MP BootCamp running TV Turner PCIe?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kenetic, Feb 3, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Hi,

I want to watch TV on my Mac Pro, but I don't know which card will work. I am planning to setup Bootcamp on the Mac Pro running Windows 7. I plan on using Windows Media Player to watch TV. I have an indoor antenna.

I know EyeTV is much more feasible, but it's a price issue. If I can get a cheap TV-Turner card that support Windows 7, than I am all set.

Here is my question: Are there any cheap PC TV-Turner card that work on a Mac Pro PCIe?

I have a Mac Pro 1,1.

Thanks

2. macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

Although I don't know for sure, I would think that any PCIe card that is Windows compatible would work. Perhaps someone with some experience with the issue could chime in.

3. macrumors 601

ActionableMango

If you are going to run Windows, then yes, any Windows PCIe or USB tuner will work.

I have used many tuners over the years including PCI, USB, and other. I have to say, the HDHomeRun is by far the best solution. You put the tuner by the antenna and connect to the computer by Ethernet. This has several advantages:
    • Any computer on the network can use the tuner (Mac, PC, Linux, desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone). I use mine with my iPad, Windows 7 Media Center, and EyeTV.
    • You can place the antenna where you get the best reception instead of where your computer is.
    • No spotty PCI or USB drivers that cause crashes (this happened to me a lot with Hauppage devices).

4. thread starter macrumors regular

thanks ActionableMango!

Let me check into it.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

I saw HDHomeRun is made by two manufactures. Elgato and Silicondust. Which one do you have?

6. macrumors 601

ActionableMango

I bought mine from SiliconDust. It was the dual tuner model, so I can either record two shows at the same time, or watch live TV while recording one show.

I believe they are all SiliconDust and Elgato just slaps their brand name on it.