Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigben334

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
some car companies are saying that their car has a 6-cd changer with mp3/wma playback capability or watever...what exactly is that??? from what i understand, there is a blank cd out there that holds up to like 4.2 gb of music or something like that...am i correct??? and if i am correct, can somebody please tell me which format of blank media that is that i need to buy to hold all that music and play it in my car?? thanks

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
To your first question. It means the cd reader can read MP3 cds. So you can put more music on a regular CD. As for a 4.2GB CD, that would be a blank single layer DVD at 4.6GB.

You would be better off getting a deck that has an iPod connector. Then you can set up play list or easily navigate through songs while crashing your car! :eek:

bigben334

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
ok...

ok i just did some research on the internet and i realized that an "mp3 cd" is just a regular cd-r or cd-rw with more music on it...but now HOW DO I DO THAT?! how can i get a regular blank cd to fit all that music??? thanks

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
bigben334 said:
ok i just did some research on the internet and i realized that an "mp3 cd" is just a regular cd-r or cd-rw with more music on it...but now HOW DO I DO THAT?! how can i get a regular blank cd to fit all that music??? thanks

You burn your music onto the CD, with the songs remaining in their .mp3 or .wma or whatever format, so the songs remain 3MB or so. This differs from a regular audio CD, which will work in a regular CD player, because when your burn songs onto those CDs, the files change to ...is it .WAV? a format where the songs are much larger in size.

The CD burner programs I've used have had the option to burn an MP3 CD, but you may find some that only call it a Data CD.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Verto said:
The CD burner programs I've used have had the option to burn an MP3 CD, but you may find some that only call it a Data CD.
You can even burn an MP3 CD easily from within iTunes, as long as the songs you want to burn are already in MP3 format.

B

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Download an application called Toast Titanium and there is an option for mp3 Cd. Most CDs hold 650MB so that is about 70 songs.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
®îçhå®? said:
Download an application called Toast Titanium

I don't want anyone to get misled here, Toast is a downloadable purchase (ie. you pay for it then download it), not a free download.

webcookie

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
Brava Centauri
To make a MP3 cd in iTunes, you need to change the burning preferences to "MP3 CD" (the others are Audio CD (that's a regular cd) and Data CD). Then you can fill 'er up.

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
webcookie said:
To make a MP3 cd in iTunes, you need to change the burning preferences to "MP3 CD" (the others are Audio CD (that's a regular cd) and Data CD). Then you can fill 'er up.

thanks.... i was about to ask that.

lonelemur90

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2006
New Jersey
i think you're a little confused. changing the format of a recordable cd to mp3 doesnt necessarily change the amount of music it can store. any cd-r or cd-rw cannot store 4.6 gigs. this can only be achieved on dvds. and i would also recommend just getting a deck for your ipod.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
Aside from agreeing with the others who say get an ipod deck, you can also find decks that can play mp3 dvds, they're just $$$$, whereas if you have an ipod you can just hook up and go, and then take it with you when you leave the car as well:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.