MP3 DVD - Can it be done?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bograt, Jan 4, 2004.

1. bograt macrumors member

Apr 8, 2003
    I've heard of and used MP3 CD's - one of my friends has an MP3 CD player, however I was wondering if it is possible to create an MP3 DVD disc that will play in a DVD player. I know it is possible to create an MP3 CD in iTunes but will a DVD created in the same manner actually work? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Well, an MP3 CD is just a data disc with MP3's on it. I would assume an MP3 DVD would be the exact same thing. Now, whether a DVD player with MP3 capability would be able to read it, I honestly don't know. Why don't you burn a DVD and see how it goes.
  3. SBG88 macrumors regular

Feb 19, 2003
    Sure it'll work. You just need a dvd player capable of reading the disc.
  4. bograt thread starter macrumors member

Apr 8, 2003
    Here lieth the problem - well worth a stab! Thank you all!
  5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    If i were you i would just made a few mp3 cds . ... cds are dirt cheap plus on a dashbaord i find it tough to navigate
  6. bograt thread starter macrumors member

Apr 8, 2003
    Righto - made a DVD MP3 disc and it works like a dream! Though I ripped it in Toast so that i did not have to navigate the albums and all that nonsense!
  7. dwgriffi macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2004
    MP3 DVDs

How did you end up accomplishing this in Toast? Using DVD-Rs with a Superdrive I either make discs no player will read, and when I choose the settings people have recommended (like ISO 9600) I just get alerts saying it'll make a CD of it but not a DVD.

Clue me in!!

8. punkmac macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2004
    mp3 dvd

Yes, I would also like to know.

I thought about this before and figured I would burn a dvd data disc that would only be read in a computer dvd drive.

I wanted to make a true mp3 dvd disc with 96 hours of music that I can pop in a cheapo Apex dvd player.

9. zxcvbnm macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2004
    Hi, this is bograt back from extended vacation - but needed a new account. To do it, group together all the files that you want, go into Toast, I've got version 6.0, choose from the top tab 'Audio' (marked with a speaker and some crotchets), then on the left, make sure you are in 'Advanced'. Finally, go down towards the bottom right hand corner where it has the round button, just above this you can choose between CD and DVD, press that until DVD comes up. Then just press burn, it really does depend on compatibility really.
  10. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
    I have a Phillips DVP642 that plays mp4, XviD, DivX, DVD, VCD, SVCD, lone mpegs on data discs, the earlier WMV formats, mp3 - on any type of disc you can throw at.

I highly recommend picking one up - they are only like $60 US.