mp3 editing program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CubaTBird, Jul 1, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i have a fairly large mp3 file, around 90 min and would like to break it up into smaller segments. whats a good FREE (would be nice) program for os x that would let me do this? :confused:

2. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Hmm, well, off the top of my head all I can think of is Quicktime Pro...not free. (usually)

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

You could Sound Studio that (might have) came with your computer.

I think if you get an eMac, iBook, or iMac you get it free; don't know about the PowerBook or PowerMac though.

4. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

You know, I was wondering what the heck that program was.

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

6. jtkellertx macrumors member

jtkellertx

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Do any of you guys know a good and free anologue recording program? So I can record radio or something on my G5 and turn in into MP3/AAC?

8. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Avoid that program at all costs. It needs serious stability re-enforcements.

Like some of the above posters, I recommend Sound Studio as well. Even though the latest version is a beta, it's still fairly stable (wayy more than Audacity) and even better than the 2.1 release. Oh, and if Sound Studio does crash on you, it somehow saves all your already open files to your Hard Drive. So if it crashes, upon relaunch, Sound Studio will give you a "recovery" pop-up window that tells you that the program restored your open files right to your Hard Drive. Take that (again), Audacity! Also you can use Sound Studio for recording incoming audio as well. Take about 5 minutes to get used to how recording works, as well as the input levels, and about 20 to 30 minutes getting used to the settings and editing user interface.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

11. Sills macrumors newbie

another good utility is Cacophony i find. it saves all formats and all that stuff. it is shareware though, which means you'll have to wait 5 seconds when it starts up to use it. besides that, its a good program. ( cant remember the site - google :D )

12. hairy_brute macrumors newbie

If you are just splitting up an audio file and it's an mp3 you can use .cue files and these programs.

Cue-Maker
    Cue-Splitter
    http://www.gritsch-soft.com/

It takes a few minutes to learn how to use them, but they are pretty straight forward. One thing to remember is that when you are splitting, I think the .cue file has to be in the same folder as the mp3 fothe cue-splitter to work. Anyways, good luck.

13. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I'm going to throw in my vote for Audacity, listed & linked above. It does crash occasionally on me, but overall I've been happy with it. It is a good basic audio editor, and it's free!

Lee Tom