Mp3 Editor?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Squire, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Hi.

I'm looking for a program that can slice up audio files into separate tracks. Any recommendations? Let me explain what I'm doing first:

I want to convert some cassettes to mp3 format. I've hooked up my stereo to my Mac by running a stereo cable from the "phones" jack to the "audio line in" on my iMac. I've also downloaded a freeware program called LineIn. After that, I fired up GarageBand and started recording. However, the process gets a little tedious at this point. GarageBand stopped recording after about 5 minutes (don't know why) and, if I continue this way, I'll just end up with a huge audio file; I'd like to break it up into tracks.

I'd appreciate any help in streamlining this process.

Thanks,
    Squire

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

3. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

Thanks for the quick reply. No, I haven't tried SoundStudio...yet. It looks pretty good but I was hoping to get by without spending any money. By the way, how's the quality of music tracks recorded from, say, LP using SoundStudio? Just curious. (I'm only transferring spoken content, not music, so quality is not a huge issue.)

Squire

4. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Audion has a waveform editor. You could try that.

5. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

Thanks. I'll give it a try. The price is right, too.
    I also noticed that the price of SoundStudio is reasonable when you download the academic version.

I'm still open to more suggestions.

Squire

6. Logik macrumors 6502a

How does a free audio editor sound?

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

this is exactly what you want.. if you know enough about using a sound editor this bad boy will do it all for ya

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You could use a freeware program like AudoRecorder (from Version tracker).

It already makes the files either .mov or .mp3 and you just hit pause in-between songs. Failing that, you could import the entire huge song into iTunes, and use it to split the tracks, naming each one accordingly. It would also store them into the correct locations on you HD when finished.

TEG

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you've got Garageband, you could give that a try. It's a bit messy for mp3 splitting though, so don't go out and buy it specifically or anything.

9. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

Thanks. I came across that before I posted this thread but, obviously, didn't read enough into it.

Okay. Now I feel stupid. Are you saying iTunes can do what I want? Please tell me more. (A search in iTunes Help didn't give me anything.)

And did you just change your avatar like, 30 seconds ago or am I going crazy?

Squire