MP3 from movies

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldschool, Dec 17, 2003.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

How can I get the audio off of a .mov or .mpg or Divx file and save it as .mp3 so i can listen to it on my ipod?

I have been connecting my audio out to my audio in then using a mp3 recorder, but this takes too long...any suggestions?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I could be mistaken, but Quicktime Pro can extract audio and/or video tracks from most videos, and I assume it can do the same with the files you're talking about.

If so, bite the bullet and buy Pro if you haven't already (probably the best software deal outside Freeware, period). Then just select "extract track" from the menu. If nobody else does, I'll try it on a DIVX/MP3 file when I get home.

3. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

4. bensisko macrumors 6502a

Yes and No

Makosuke was close.
    There is an extra step and that is to convert the audio into mp3 from iTunes.
    1) Save-As .wav from Quicktime Pro
    2) Import into iTunes (Technically you can stop here because iPod supports wav, but assuming you don't want the filesize, continue on)
    3) Goto Advanced and Convert Selection to MP3 (or AAC I suppose...)
    4) delete the wav file
    5) Click Update iPod.

Yeah, Quicktime Pro is a great way to extract audio. I use it all the time for my video voice-overs.

5. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

Re: Yes and No

Actually there is an easier way to get it to AAC. File-->Export. Then choose "Export: Movie to Quicktime Movie" in the dropdown menu that appears. Then click "options". From there you can deselect the "Video" checkbox, and choose your settings for the sound. Choose mp4 and then click options in that new box, and set your bit rate. Thats it.

I just got Pro, and i Love it.