MP3/iTunes questions....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by NatronB, Mar 20, 2003.

1. NatronB macrumors regular

Hello,

I know you can get iTunes to only play a certain section of an MP3 (skipping the first 10 secs and ending the song with a minute to go, for example), is there a way to get iTunes to burn this way? Do I have to buy Toast? I don't wanna buy Toast.

Also, does anyone here make their CD labels on the computer? What application does one use to do this?

What file sharing software do y'all use? Limewire sucks.

Lastly, is there any way to move tracks from an iPod onto a harddrive? I have legitimately burned some CDs onto my iPod which I have lost, there must be some way to do this.

Thanks for the help,

-Nate

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

as for getting mp3s from ipod to harddrive. go to versiontracker.com and search for ipod..... you'll find probably 10+ options

here is just one example

3. Bear macrumors G3

Re: MP3/iTunes questions....

You can do this on a track by track basis.

Use Apple-I (Get Info) on a track to bring up the Song Information window. In the Options tab, you can set start and stop times for each track.

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

there is no real good file sharing app for the mac.

i prefer the kdx community right now...quite a few great servers out there, but it can be a pain when you are in a hurry.

5. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I recommend Acquisition. It has a clean interface and generally has a high success rate when downloading. If you don't find many tracks on a search there's no need to be disappointed. Wait until the app has connected to eight or ten servers and search again. The search will likely return five times the results.

Dan

6. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Re: MP3/iTunes questions....

I never found a way to burn clipped songs from iTunes, so I opted for Toast w/ jam and edited the songs by hand. I suspect there is a program you could download from the OSX site which does this as well. I decided the improved burning specs on toast where worth the investment.

Label makers? I bought a simple (and not to user-friendly) program called "Click n' Design" at the Apple Store. It gets the job done, and I don't know of any others. The box in which Toast with Jam ships claims there is label making software enclosed, but I'll be damned if I can find it. Did anyone else?

7. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i also recomend aquisition. it's just great. i hope it will be able to connect to more than 12 servers at once though.

8. trive macrumors member

To burn only a certain section of an MP3 you have to:
    - choose the section you wanna play
    - select the song in the itunes library
    - choose advanced > convert selection to mp3

you'll have a brand new mp3.

About P2P..... what about neo? never tried?

About ipod>hd .... i'd choose PODUTIL.

see you!

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Here is the labeling software I use.. it ain't pretty but it's intuitive and easy to use... it's called Label Printer Pro

I agree with alset... try Acquisition for songs... but if you want other things you should check out KDX from haxial.com

irmongoose

10. NatronB thread starter macrumors regular

thanks...

Thanks guys.

As an aside, I've recently shed my 'newbie' status. I'm not sure if I'm happy, or really, really depressed.

-Nate

11. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Re: thanks...

Well, I'll be happy for you. :)

Dan