mp3 MPEG2 convert to MPEG1 with itunes? How? Help Please!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SuperGreenSol, Mar 16, 2006.

1. SuperGreenSol macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2005
    Hi all!

I'm needing to take some mp3's that I have in itunes that are MPEG2 Layer 3 and then convert them down to MPEG1 Layer this possible? Can someone help me out/walk me through it or recommend some tools that might be able to help me out? Thanks!

2. nattyz macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2006
    mpeg2 layer 3?

donno what ur talkin bout, but thats just me.

only heard of mpeg2 = video aka. DVD

you have sound stipped from video?
  3. SuperGreenSol thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2005
    mp3's can be encoded with various levels of data, ie, MPEG 1, 2, or 4. You can check on this by selecting a file in your itunes library and doing a command - I on it. on the right hand side it will list this information under FORMAT. I'm trying to figure out how to strip some that are in MPEG2 down to MPEG1, specifically so that I can use them as ringtones for a phone...seems the phone will only support mp3's that are MPEG1 format...:rolleyes:
  4. nattyz macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2006
    all my mp3s are mpg1s, nvr heard of any "music" files i.e. mp3s that were mpeg2. but i guess you have some.

sound like ur on a mac, so i donno if you can do this, but try a simple re-encode on a program like musicmatch or lame (dont know any mac equivalents). you could try .mp3->.mp3; or .mp3->.wav->.mp3. this should give u a "normal" mp3 (mpeg1).

i used to use a program called azid w/ besweet GUI w/ all kinds of audio functions (a little harder to use tho).

these are all on windows of course. maybe macs can use musicmatch jukebox? all you do is: File-> Convert Files...-> select ur dirs and filetypes...viola

maybe this helps?
  5. nattyz macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2006
    o ya, and where did you get these mpg2 mp3 files? just curious
  6. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    I just came across this tool. Among its features, it lists what you want:

Please let us know what you think about the tool if you decide to vie it a try.