Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
L

Lau

Mmm, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. A good tip for these situations is to hit em with something they can't argue with, like "I'm moving in with my partner and he/she already has AOL", or "I sold my computer", that sort of thing. If you say something like that (whether it's true or not) you usually get off easily, and if not you can go down the "Dude! I SOLD my computer! Which bit of this are you having trouble with?" road.

As an aside, I used to work in a chargeback department for credit cards, and the amount I had to do because AOL kept charging customers even after they cancelled was verging on the criminal. I'm surprised Visa/Mastercard still give them service, to be honest.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Flowbee said:
CNBC will be showing a story about AOL and this call in the next few minutes. Just FYI...

[It's over. AOL says the employee is no longer with the company and that they have "learned from this incident."]

A link to the print story here.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Lau said:
Mmm, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. A good tip for these situations is to hit em with something they can't argue with, like "I'm moving in with my partner and he/she already has AOL", or "I sold my computer", that sort of thing. If you say something like that (whether it's true or not) you usually get off easily, and if not you can go down the "Dude! I SOLD my computer! Which bit of this are you having trouble with?" road.

I would just tell them I turned Amish and cancelling them is the last phone call I will ever make for the remainder of my life

Uma888

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2005
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Flowbee said:
CNBC will be showing a story about AOL and this call in the next few minutes. Just FYI...

[It's over. AOL says the employee is no longer with the company and that they have "learned from this incident."]

Here he is.....

DSC00224.jpg

Hilarious

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
thedude110 said:
A link to the print story here.
Just listened to him on TV.

Wow. It is for real.

Sounds like the AOL guy was fired for doing what he did. At least AOL is making an attempt to Publically look like they are changing things.

As far as recording telephone calls, I've done it numerous times -- usually involving a business situation. I announce up front that I am recording the phone call. I've never had a problem with it.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
sushi said:
Just listened to him on TV.

Wow. It is for real.

Sounds like the AOL guy was fired for doing what he did. At least AOL is making an attempt to Publically look like they are changing things.

As far as recording telephone calls, I've done it numerous times -- usually involving a business situation. I announce up front that I am recording the phone call. I've never had a problem with it.

Yet in the MSNBC story, when the author called to cancel AOL (to verify the web clip) it took 45 minutes of the same crap to get their account cancelled!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.