MP3/Ogg joiner?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by james.sumners, Apr 21, 2005.

1. james.sumners macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of any software to combine MP3s and Ogg Voribis files without re-encoding them?

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

um well since 2 incompatible file formats can't just be smashed together, at least 1 would have to be reencoded.

With that said, you could always try Audacity @ http://audacity.sf.net

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

You can do it with Quicktime.

- Open both files in Quicktime.
    - Select all of one clip with the "ruler" and do a copy
    - Select the other window and place the play head at the end of the clip and do a paste
    - Archive as an independent movie.

The resulting file can ble played in Quicktime or iTunes.

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

that works with ogg? I didn't realize there was ogg support in QT

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

There's an ogg plug-in for Quicktime, I think, that makes ogg just another media format to Quicktime and all apps that uses the Quicktime API.

6. james.sumners thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't meaning to combine an MP3 with an Ogg. I meant a utility that will work with both formats. I rip all of my CDs to Ogg and I have a few live performances in MP3. My portable audio player does not support gapless playback so I need to combine the albums I want to play back gapless in to one long track. I am not wanting to play the resulting file with Quicktime or iTunes.

I don't want to re-encode them because I don't want to loose any more of the audio quality. The Ogg Vorbis specification supports concatenated files but my player won't play files like that.

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I'm very confused now :confused: You don't want to combine an MP3 with an Ogg, you don't want to reencode any of your music, but you want to combine the albums you want to play back gapless in to one long track.
    There's a logical flaw in that request, as far as I can see.

And it doesn't get any easier when you say that you want to play this on a portable player that doesn't support anything but plain ogg or mp3 (and presumably wma) files.

Edit: Aaaah ... I get it now, you want a utility that can concatenate several ogg files into one big ogg file, and the concatenated file should be just a regular ogg file, and not the special concatenated ogg file type that is in the Ogg Vorbis specification but isn't supported by your player.

I don't know about any such utility, I'm sorry.

8. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

sadly i don't think this is possible. any mp3 editor i believe ends up de-encoding to wav, then reencoding. this is due to the compression algorithms. you can't just "remove" sections or "add sections" to it like you can with wav. the whole end of the compression formula gets screwed when you do this. i might be wrong, but i'm thinking you're asking for something that can't be done.

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I'm afraid DXoverDY may be right.

How about reripping in Apple Lossless, then combine the tracks that you want to be gapless and finally reencode as ogg?

10. AppleAce macrumors regular

That would be no better than ripping to wav or aiff and then editing and re-encoding. The only way you wouldn't lose any sound quality is if you left them in apple lossless, but then the files would be substantially larger.

11. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I agree that ripping to Apple lossless, combine and reencode to ogg would give the same result as doing the same with aiff or wav, but that was sort of the point. It would be just as good as ripping to ogg and then concatenate.

The only reason why I suggested Apple lossless instead of aiff is that the files takes less space if he wants to keep them or do the job in large batches.

12. james.sumners thread starter macrumors newbie

There are programs for Windows, and possibly Linux, that supposedly merge multiple MP3s in to one file without re-encoding them. I really haven't ever had a use for such a program before so I can't attest to the validity of that. I just know that my searches for such a program for OS X have turned up only one application -- MP3 Trimmer -- and it isn't quite what I am looking for.

As for ripping to something other than Ogg Vorbis, I don't rip my audio CDs with my Mac. I rip them all with my Debian box because that is where I store my music. I also prefer Ogg Vorbis and FLAC to anything else. I just use my Mac to transfer the files to my iRiver iFP-899 because it has a USB 2.0 port whereas my Debian machine does not. Transfering files over wireless to my audio player is faster than doing it with the machine the files are actually on :)

Any way, thanks for all the help. Looks like I have to decide whether or not to keep the player. If I keep it then I suppose I am going to have to write my own tool to do what I need.

13. Azura macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
  14. Jesse03 macrumors newbie

joiner

With the developing of technology,now you can find many Mac joiner.I use the video joiner for Mac on macjoiner.com,it has the funtion of joining without re-encoding.
    Maybe you think a person who answer this question is helpless,but I want to reply because somebody who is finding the joiner,he can also see it.It may help them too.

15. OddyOh macrumors regular

OddyOh

Did you try Rogue Amoeba's Fission...it can cut MP3's losslessly, I don't think it does OGG though. And, it may not let you join files, only split, not sure I haven't used it for that, and I'm not near my mac at the moment:
    http://www.rogueamoeba.com/fission/