MP3 Players

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sach504, Dec 31, 2002.

1. sach504 macrumors member

I am looking for the best MP3 Player for MAC other then the iPod. could you give me some ideas? i am looking for something with 10GB or more. does anyone know how the rio riot works on mac? please tell me what the best choices are.

2. Mac til death macrumors regular

go with the iPod

Rio Riot's only cool feature is that it has an FM tuner... other than that the iPod does everything it does and more.

Last time I checked Rio Riot uses USB 1.1. Can you say slow? Its wide and bulky... You can't use it as a hard drive...

Really man... go with the iPod

I guess you're exploring other options based on price. Two you may or may not want to check out are Creative's new player (I think it's called the Zen) and maybe Archos Jukebox.

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Man, don't ever say MAC... it's the Mac or a Mac.. not MAC... MAC is a networking term... dunno what it stands for, but I know it aint a name of a computer... sheesh

irmongoose

4. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Think about how long transferring 10GB will take using a USB connection (at 11Mbps or equivalently 1.375MBps). So theoretically the fastest you could transfer 10GB would be 124 minutes or about 2 hours. And you'd still be spending up to $300 for the privilege. A better solution for you might be to get a much cheaper MP3 player that reads Media Cards. For example, Creative makes a Nomad that has 64MB built in and also reads up to 128MB SmartMedia cards: http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/shop/detail.asp?dpno=330324. A 64 MB SmartMedia card costs from $15 to $30, depending on the brand, so you can get two or three (especially if you can also use them in your digital camera :) ). And you can think of a 64MB media card like a cassete tape that holds 10 songs or so and you can swap in and out. Plus to transfer 128MB would take a couple minutes over USB, instead of a couple hours for 10GB.

But seriously, get the 5GB iPod instead of a 10GB imitator. The interface is so much better and the transfer speed so much faster. You can get the 5GB iPod for under $300, more or less in the same range as a 10GB imitator.

5. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I stand corrected, the new Creative Zen (20 GB, $299 retail price) uses FireWire. I guess the only difference from the iPod would be larger size (uses 2.5 inch drive instead of the iPod's 1.8 inch) and the interface, which still can't match the iPod's elegance.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I bought an iPod thinking that I'd barely ever use it, except in the car, and now, it goes everywhere with me.

The sound is incredible, the size is just about perfect, the controls/interface is amazing, the speed of song transfers is blazing, and I'm so hooked on the damn thing it's not even funny.

I have no idea why you don't want an iPod, but unless it's a very, very good reason, you should reconsider your decision.

7. sach504 thread starter macrumors member

apprx. how many CDs worth of music can the 5GB iPod hold?

8. DeKa macrumors member

Sort of like how long is a piece of string that question.

It depends how many tracks are on each CD and their length. My sister has a 5GB iPod with just over 900 songs on it and it's not full yet. Say the average song length is 5 minutes, the 5GB iPod will hold 1000 songs. At 5 minutes length, that's 14 tracks per CD (a CD is 74 mins). 1000 divided by 14 is 71.

So a 5GB iPod would hold *around* 71 CD's.

I myself have a 10GB iPod and have 1450 songs on it at the moment, with nearly 3GB free.

Go the iPod :D My family is completely addicted!
    I have an FM Transmitter for my car too, from http://www.ccrane.com

Derek

9. sach504 thread starter macrumors member

but doesnt the 5GB version not come with some of the things that the 10,20 GB do? like a case and remote? other then that and the memory difference are they the same? should i get a 5GB iPod or wait longer and get a 10 or 20 GB model?

10. yzeater macrumors regular

'

How much music do you have? I've got 700 songs, and they only fill up half of my 5 gig iPod. If you've got like 3000, you'll probably want to save up and get a bigger one

11. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

First and foremost, even the Windows lovers agree, the iPod is simply the best MP3 player available. If you want a HD based MP3 player, anything but the iPod is a compromise.

I have a 20GB, and it has 6453 songs with 1.8GB free. I have many short punk songs, but all are 192kbps or better. I would say if you're very into music, the 20GB cannot be beat. It is a tad larger than the 10GB, which is a good compromise for using during workouts and stuff.

If you are looking to save money, you can often get the best deal from Dell.com, as they give out coupon codes as if they were takeaway menus.

Also, do NOT but anything until after Jan 7, as prices may change, features may be enhanced, etc.

12. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

go 10/20

5GB ipod = ipod + charger (maybe f/wire cable)
    10/20GB ipod = ipod + charger + case + remote (maybe f/wire cable)

13. sach504 thread starter macrumors member

the 5GB model comes with Earbud headphones, AC adapter, FireWire cable; support for optional remote control.

i dont need or want a remote control i would never use it. and i could buy a carrying case for cheaper. but is there a difference in the scroll wheels ?

14. yzeater macrumors regular

Scroll wheels are exactly the same. Buy one! I love mine..well not love, but I really like it ;)

15. sach504 thread starter macrumors member

when you want to load a CD of music onto the iPod (directly from the CD) do you have to upload the CD and save it to get it on the iPod?

16. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I think you'll find that the 10gb + 20gb ipods have a no moving parts touch sensitve scrolling device whereas the 5 gb ipod has the original mechanical wheel!!

17. sach504 thread starter macrumors member

i know that you are all against it and the iPod is so much better but is there anyone that has used the Rio Riot with a Mac and if so how does it perform.

18. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

I just baught a refrubished 10 gig iPod from the apple store for $330 (A STEAL!) the thing was not even opened. It is great, but I know MacWorld is next monday (i think) and i can return the ipod within 10 days from today if somthing new comes out. I wonder if they do price adjustments on these products? if it happens to be lowered in price. I am exstatic about my purchase.

-GaBe-O

19. gerror macrumors 6502

the dutch customer association called the iPod 'the only mp3-player wich is worth to connect to a hifi-system'

20. yzeater macrumors regular

I'm going to hook my iPod into our $4k entertainment system today, I can't wait to see how it does!

21. sach504 thread starter macrumors member

how and where did you get a refurbished iPod from apple?? for only 330?? how? they go on ebay for more then that used.

22. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

The 10GB goes on eBay for more than $330??? The freakin' things cost only $394 brand new from any reseller! I haven't seen a refurbished 10GB for $330, but smalldog sells them for $350, and PowerMax sells a refurbished 5GB for $240.

Where does Apple list its refurbished items anyway?

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ancient Chinese Secret. He could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you. :eek:

24. sach504 thread starter macrumors member

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Jive?? When the Apple site has refurbished stuff (not always, and not right now), it is listed on the "store" page, usually in the far bottom left corner under a small ad for clearance or something like that.