MP3 to wma

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ThatGirl, Nov 29, 2005.

1. ThatGirl macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me how to convert an MP3 to wma? Or, is there a way to have the file from a CD convert to wma? It is not a choice in iTunes, but I thought maybe someone might know a way.

Thanks.

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

3. betbest1 macrumors regular

You can use Windows Media Player to rip your CDs as WMA. This is not a good idea, however, because iTunes and iPod cannot play WMA files.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

True, but iTunes can convert (unprotected) WMA into AACs.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Isn't that just the Windows version?

6. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

O.K.!! I just wanted to make them smaller files, to host them on a site. I guess I was wrong wrong wrong...:(

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

WMA doesn't mean it's a smaller file, the size of the file depends less on the format and almost completely on the bit rate. For smaller files just tell iTunes to rip from the CD to mp3 but set the bitrate to 32 or 64 kbps (whatever sounds OK to you). To do this go to the advanced pane of the iTunes preferences and select "importing". Then set "Import using" to "mp3 encoder" and "settings" to "custom." A window will come up and the top section called "stereo bit rate" is what you are concerned with, select one of the lower bit rates (64 kbps to start with) and click OK. Click OK on the main preference pane and then rip your CD.

8. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Thanks! I'll try it.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Rip from the original CD to prevent quality loss due to recompression. Personally I'd rip to 64 kb/s AAC, which is the same format used for song previews on the iTMS.

10. xy14 macrumors 6502

xy14

You'd be better off just converting them to 64kbps AAC or MP3. If they're already MP3 though, keep them that way.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read through all the posts. *puts newspaper in hidden pocket, walks away as if nothing happened*

11. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for your help, Everyone. I feel like I learned so much today from you guys. Anyway, I put the CD back in and used iTunes to convert the songs to MP3 at 64kbps. It worked perfectly, and is exactly what I was trying to accomplish. The files are much smaller, and good enough for the purpose intended.
    Thanks again!

12. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Now that I have that cleared up, can anyone tell me if it's possible to convert wma's to MP3 format. A friend sent me some wma files, and I'd like to convert them.

Is that possible?

Thanks!

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

EasyWMA can do it, but it's not free (I don't know what limitations the demo has). There are probably other apps too.

14. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

15. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of your help. Opening it in iTunes at a lower kpbs worked just right.

Now, I have another question, if I may.

Is there a way to lower the "size" of an mpeg in a similar way to reducing the size of an MP3?
    Thanks!