mp3 track tag tool/editor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robert-a-hudson, Jan 15, 2007.

1. robert-a-hudson macrumors regular

Apr 11, 2006
    I have an mp3 cd player in my car, which can read track tags, but they need to be tag version ID3 1.x. Now I have all my songs in iTunes, however they are not tag version ID3 1.x.

Now, I am aware that I can "convert ID3 tags" in iTunes, however that means that my track tags in itunes also become version 1.x, and so I lose some of the information (due to the shorter field lengths in version 1.x compared to whatever version itunes is using).

So, I would like a method of copying the tags from whichever version they are (I think generally id3 2.x) into the id3 1.x.

Is there a program which can do this for me?
    Can it be done in automator? (Not that I know how to use that!)

Thanks in advance,

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    I am a little confused here, how are you expecting to keep your 2.x ID tags? Cause the tag information is in the mp3 file, so it doesn't matter if you use iTunes or another program you're still going to lose you tag information.

Do you have a method of backing up your tag info?

But for suggestions here is a quick search at VersionTracker:[]=macosx

There are a bunch of things out there, I just haven't tried any of them.
  3. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    I think you may be looking for MP3 Rage. Check it out, it's an awesome program
  4. robert-a-hudson thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Sorry if I was unclear. I want to change the tag version on the mp3s which I write to CD for my car.