.mp3 wont import into Garage Band

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jazzzzzz, Jun 16, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2013
    I recorded some audio files on an Olympus LS-10 in the .MP3 format and when I dragged them into an open project in Garage Band they wouldn't import. The importing dialog would begin, but end with no fail message or result in 5-10 seconds. I finally got one to work when I changed it to .mp3 but the other one still wont import. I also noticed about that file that if I open it in Quicktime it says it is 34 minutes, whereas if I open it in Itunes it displays the full 1.1 hours. I have tried dragging the file from Itunes and from Finder.
  2. macrumors 603

Feb 20, 2009
    My suggestion would be…

… can you try opening the problem file in some _other_ applications?

Will it play in iTunes or Quicktime Player?

Or, try this:
    Download the free app called "QTAmateur":
    (yes, it's old, but it still runs)

Will QTAmateur open the file?
    If so, try saving it in "aiff" format (instead of mp3). You want to use 44.1khz, 16-bit. Then see if you can import the converted file into GarageBand.

If nothing else works, check the setting you were using on the LS-10.
    Actually, in the future when you record with the LS-10 (for later importation into an audio editing app such as GarageBand), I'd suggest you use the PCM mode, 44.1khz, either 16-bit or 24-bit. This will create uncompressed files that are definitely larger (about 10mb per minute of recording), but are easily imported into any digital audio app.