mp3Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by redAPPLE, May 21, 2002.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

I read about this up and coming "new" technology called mp3PRO.

the player is backwards compatible. that means it could play .mp3 files just fine.

there are not much mp3pro players out there. there is a winamp plugin and there is the thomson mp3pro player (beta).

is there a place on the apple website, where one could send in "wish lists"?

mp3pro encodes .wav files better which results in smaller file sizes with almost same (if not better) sound quality as the mp3s of today.

if apple could use this technology in itunes, then our ipods could store not only 1000 songs in the 5 gb version, but 2000 songs in the 5 gb version. and a whopping 4000 songs in the 10 gb version.

anyone working in apple around here?

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The Dolby AAC codec used in MPEG4 should give you better quality and smaller files than MP3.

Just wait for MP4...:D

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have been waiting waiting for a long while.
    My patience is starting to become rather thin, which is why I am starting to see through it. :)

When do you guys think that it is possible that we will see mp4 playback integrated into software titles and the Apple iPod anyways? I figure that the start would be with Quicktime 6, but it doesn't hurt to wonder what comes after that...

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

All we need is QT6 which will come with Jaguar.

The iPod will just need a software update to be able to handle MP4 audio.

6. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

We shall see about that MPEG 1 Layer 3 is fine right now, i still haven't heard anything better come along yet. MP3pro shows promise but needs to get its KBPS up a lot higher then 96.

why don't you digital music hounds check out LAME MP3s.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Why don't you check this out:
    http://www.aac-audio.com/

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

It would be really neat to have this type of compression for the iPod. I can just see Apple's new catch phrase...

NEW Apple iPod 10GB w/mp4 technology:
    More quality, more songs, more fun.

I am guessing that Apple will release iTunes 3, which will incorporate mp4 technology into a well designed player and transfer mp4 as well as mp3 to the iPod. It should be an interesting progression of the audio/video field for the following couple of years.

9. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

AAC seems cool but its not here yet and when it comes, i will simply convert the thousands of MP3s to AACs.

less space and hear more

sounds good to me

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah, that should be interesting. I wonder if Apple will run into any other licensing problems with iTunes supporting mp4 in terms of encoding and decoding... let's hope not! We could see another long wait. :(

11. j763 macrumors 6502a

Any indications as to when MP4 will be available and the sound quality etc.

Anyone got a good link for MP4 info?

12. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

ive heard about mp3pro a bit since late 2001, and ive heard that mp3pro was supposed to be a format for something like a pay version of napster or one of the music sharing clients (where you have to pay so much a month), but i may be wrong

13. kenkooler macrumors regular

I heard the same about 1 year ago... But now I would prefer Apple to go with Ogg Vorbis since its an Open format.

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ogg Vorbis vs. Dolby AAC which is built into MPEG4 which is built on QuickTime

Hmmm...wonder which one is gonna win...:rolleyes:

15. kenkooler macrumors regular

Hehe... maybe in some time PC users and Mac users will have their music in a different format.:D