mp3's on iTunes

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by aaron_wsu, Feb 13, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

I am considering making the switch from pc to mac but I an curious as to one aspect. I have an external hard drive with my mp3's stored on it currently.

1. Will there be any issues when i plug my external hd into the mac?
    2. Will i Tunes play mp3 file format?

Thanks for the info.

2. macrumors regular

rfenik

You should be able to just plug it in and it will just work... you'll see the drive pop up on your hard drive.

and iTunes works great with Mp3s. I have about 3000 of them, all ripped from CDs. It does a really good job organizing them.

-ko

3. macrumors 6502

Re: mp3's on iTunes

If you have any reservations about iTunes download it for your PC and check if all the various file types you have work. They should, though I'm not sure of iTunes support of the WMA format.

There should be no issues with your HDD. If you are still reserved, check the manufactures web site and see if it mac compatable.

4. macrumors 68000

varmit

Mp3 will play fine

They will be just fine. And the hard drive, when you plug it in, will show up on the DESKTOP. Someone has a typo up top.

5. macrumors newbie

Make the switch dude! You'll have minor growing pains at first, but once you weed out your windows way of thinking you'll wonder how you ever got along without Mac.

I made the switch over a year ago and since then I've converted my Wife, my sister, and my best friend and all 3 of them are now in love with Apple.

6. macrumors 6502a

Your mp3s will work fine (download iTunes for Windows to see what you're missing). Your external HD can't be formatted in NTFS for the Mac to read it (I think, someone back me up) but FAT format is fine for sure.

7. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Panther gives you read-only access to NTFS volumes. Otherwise, you're SOL.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/compare.html - Look under "Windows Interoperability"

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

So if my external HDD is formatted FAT32 I should be good to go? I will be able to save files on it and read files from both a mac and a pc? is this right?

thanx

9. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yes, you will be able to read/write on a Mac or PC if it's FAT32.

10. macrumors 601

Westside guy

FAT32 is pretty much the most broadly compatible disk format you could pick.

11. macrumors regular

Just to make sure when you say mp3, you mean mp3, itunes will play them. itunes WILL NOT play wma...... only mp3 and aac.....

12. macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

And AIFF, and Midi, and a few other odds and end, mind you.