Mp3s or CDs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Macmaniac, May 29, 2002.

?

Have you been downloading mp3s instead of buying CDs?

1. I have bought fewer CDs and I download the songs instead

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. I have not changed my CD buying activity

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

With all of the new mp3 players out there and peer to peer transfer services like Limewire and Carracho, have you been buying fewer CDs then usual because you can download the same song for free?
    Well here is a poll.

Choices
    I have been buying fewer CDs and downloading mp3s instead
    I have not changed my CD buying activity

2. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i dont really think this thread is a good idea.. but.. ehh.. i guess i dl more mp3s now -- in fact, ive never bought a cd in my life, xept for software...

however, if it hadnt been for the internet, i would be prolly listenin to the radio now.. hmm.. maybe id buy a FEW, but still.. not very many..

i dont think,. however, this is a good thread.. ahhem.. with all the ppl here that... ahhem...

ok anyways.. :p ..

3. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

actually i'm buying more cds than i did b4 i heard bout this thing called "mp3" lol

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I still buy cd's. I have downloaded songs if I have cassettes and want to pull the songs onto my iPod. I might have downloaded (and kept) a score of songs, if that. Otherwise, I just convert my own cd's to mp3 and slide them to my iPod.

I have downloaded some songs that I want to check out. If I like them, then I go and get the cd. If I don't like them, I dump them and don't buy the cd.

Bottom line, if I download a song, chances are I will be buying the cd that the song comes on.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm w/AlphaTech. I dl songs for a "try before you buy" kinda deal. If I like the songs then buy the CD. I like to support the artist, plus most MP3s you find on line are crap quality compared to CDs. That doesn't matter much to some people, but it matters to me.

Lethal

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i fully agree. if i like the artist enough to listen to them, then they deserve my support.

and i've bought many new cds by getting their mp3s first. in fact, if i get one album or part of an album on mp3, and i like it, then i might end up buying 1, 2, 3... etc albums by that band. so it can multiply too...

word

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Quality is one reason to get cd's... as well as a Mac system :D. Yeah, it costs more, but you do get what you pay for. Newbury Comics is a music store up here that sells cd's for less then just about all retail outlets. A cd that everyone else sells for at least $15, they sell for $12-$13. Even a few dollars can add up.

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm pretty much on that wavelength...I still buy some CDs....when I know I will like the entire thing...but when it comes to a particular song or two from an album....I will download them...and often enough I'll end up owning the CD...;)

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    no mp3's for me

i may be the only person who hasn't ever downloaded an mp3 song...it's not just the copyright thing( you probably know where i stand on that)-i just don't like the way they sound. the high frequencies drive my ears nuts. something in the conversion process just scrambles everything to me.

so i still buy cd's though i buy many of them used. there are two stores near my house that usually have all the latest releases used( and unopened...).

gotta love that:D

10. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i noticed when i like a song or 2 by a band (off the same album), i'll end up buying the album later on, i was going to buy an album the other day, but they were sold out on that album...
    this is a bit off topic, but how do u guyz think bout those copy protected cds that dont work on macs (n cause problems on some macs)

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

haha. i just realized i have a newbury comics shirt.

my cousin lives in amherst and he gave it to me at some point.. it's black with a funny looking face on it and on the back it says something about "wicked" this or "pisser" that... you know, boston speak. ha

12. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

id say my use is similiar to silverfox and alpha. i probably buy more now than before but as soon as i get them they go straight to mp3 and the cd goes on the rack (after i spend some time thumbing through the included lyrics and what not). and mp3s have definitely expanded my music horizon. i cant believe some of the stuff i found out i liked, never would have discovered it without mp3s.

but i dont buy everything i listen to. i have what i consider "radio songs" just stuff you hear a lot so you download it. some of the stuff turns out to rock so you look up the album, but most just stays in the radio section. never gets backed up so it gets wiped fairly often and i never care much.

btw -- 10gb ipod in the mail expected ship time 4-5 weeks ---oooh cant wait.

13. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I buy CDs I really like, but that's only one or two. I buy all Australian CDs. Apart from that, I don't buy music any more.

14. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I buy CDs of my favorite artists but I download songs too, mostly one song from an album.

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: no mp3's for me

maybe u have super-sensitive dog hearing abilities?? :eek: :D

just kidding....I've noticed the subtle differences as well...but the way I see it...it's a small price to pay...I'm happy enough... ;)

16. Jbear macrumors member

I usually download 2 or 3 songs of a new cd or artist I hear on the radio. If I like them, I will buy the cd. Thats usually how I go about it. It also helps that a few of my friends work at a local music store (sam goody) so I never pay full price for them anyways.

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

In general, I'm perfectly happy with the MP3s. CDs are fine, but its just easier to deal with them all electronically. I'll buy a CD and the first thing I do is make MP3s and then place the CD in a pile (growing) that will be put in a closet somewhere.

With Napster gone, its been more difficult to get new songs, but I've also downloaded a lot of ones I like from www.mp3.com Once I get an iPod, I'll be making even more MP3s.

I'll be interested in seeing how MPEG-4 will compare though.

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

true...I've done pretty well with LimeWire though...not as fast as Napster was...but it's good enough for free...;)

so is it all going to change to mp4?

19. iGav macrumors G3

MP3's are cool.... although I prefer owning the CD...... one: the sound is far superior on a CD, particularly if you listen to music that has greater frequency range, Portishead for instance does not MP3 that well........ Two. I like having the printed artwork as well..... sleeve art is a big, big passion of mine, particularly the specials editions, like the heat sensitive massive attack singles box set..... that reveals more art when the heat on your hands warms the ink you just miss out on that kind of stuff if you just have the MP3

Generally if I like a song, or songs, I'll buy the album on CD, although I do it like duke, MP3 the CD and then store the CD........ but I've got a few CD's so only the best ones get MP3'd......

Ultimately though....... I like supporting the bands that make the soundtrack to my life...... I think all the work that goes into producing an album, I think the least I can do is buy the thing....... :D

20. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I am a different category. Contrary to what a lot of people do, I have been given a ton of CD's through the years, but I have not bought but maybe 5 in my whole life. Now I have a massive MP3 collection. Some downloaded, most ripped. Still, until they are a reasonable price, I will not buy them at all.

21. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    Re: Re: no mp3's for me

actually, i do...which is cool but i can drive others crazy by hearing things that they don't. on occassion i have to convert my music to mp3 (because some multi-media servers only play mp3's) and it just drives me nuts. hopefully something better will come along...:(

22. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Re: Re: Re: no mp3's for me

man no wonder you use a mac, with those ears wintels must just be devastating on your ears, huge fans and whatnot.

but i hear the difference as well, though it doesnt bother me. like someone said portishead doesnt rip well. but you can always try high quality mp3.

o and im surprised to hear people say its harder now. just audiogalaxy clients like drumbeat. and if you like limewire for mp3s, take a look at fern (it still has some issues) its a cocoa client. i guess things are harder now cuz the software titles are less known. hard to know what to use anymore.

23. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

All mp3s...from my CDs.

I exclusively use mp3s, but I'm proud to say that my iPod is full of music I own.

I want to see the digital revolution be free from regulation, copy protection and restrictions on fair use. I'll obey the law and lobby for consumer friendly laws. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Taft

24. Wildcat macrumors regular

I haven't changed my cd buying habits. But I never really bought cds in the first place. If anything MP3's have gotten me to listen to more music. I now exclusively use MP3's. And as far as my views on pier to pier programs I think that I should be able to buy an album in MP3 format. Just sell me the music nothing else. Cut out the middle man. Big record company's take too much of the profit from a CD anyway.

25. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I've never bought cd's except for software and for relatives so I chose both options :)...