MP3's won't play in IE5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jessebarrett, Mar 2, 2005.

1. jessebarrett macrumors newbie

hey

I'm testing a site across browsers and platforms before I officially launch it.

The only problem I have is with Internet Explorer 5 for Mac, it loads MP3's but doesn't play them.

Any ideas? I'm clueless.

http://217.68.23.16/~extraspecialforces.com/

jb

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When I try one of the preview MP3s on your site in IE5/Mac, after it loads, a small window pops up with just a time bar, play/pause/stop, and fw/rw buttons, and the clip plays automatically. I checked and it wasn't VLC or any other external program being launched outside the browser. It looked like the window still belonged to IE. I do have WMP9 installed, FWIW.

3. jessebarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

4. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I don't think Microsoft even supports IE5/Mac anymore (last time I checked, the new MSN was a mess on it) so it's not really worth worrying about. ;)

5. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Having a music file play when someone goes to your website is a sure way to annoy them. Especially dial-up or monthly-bandwidth-limited users.

Also, no browser is supposed to "play MP3s". Have you tested Opera, Safari, Konqueror, etc? You should use a small Flash player to stream that MP3. And don't play it by default.

Aren't most people using iTunes or something when they're at their computers? Having a website play something means your computer is playing two songs at once. Very annoying.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

MacIE5 is an absolutely horrendous browser. Like IE6, it doesn't conform to most web standards, and unlike IE6, it misrenders tons of webpages. I know it's great to try to support every browser possible, but if there's one browser you need to not worry about, it's MacIE. On the bright side, not many people use it anyway.