MP4 mobile cinema

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dreamkatcha, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Dreamkatcha macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

Out of the blue my brother bought me one of these for Christmas from our local computer fair. I didn't think I'd be that interested in playing movies on the go, but now I've got the device and seen how crisp the video quality is, I quite like the idea.

The problem now is it doesn't seem to like my Mac Mini. The manual makes no mention of it being Mac compatible, but does say the player should operate like any other removable flash device so you'd think there would be a good chance of it working.

When I plug it in and turn it on I get the USB icon to show that it has registered a connection, but I can't open the drive in Finder. When I unplug the player it sticks in USB mode and I can't do anything with it until it's reset using the if-all-else-fails button.

I suppose as a last resort I could copy stuff to an SD media card by other means and then insert that into the device, but it would be nice if I could access the internal memory and extra cards through the player itself.

Any ideas? Does anyone else own one of these?

I can't seem to track down the exact model on the net because it's one of these no-name ones. All the info I have to go on is what's in the title of this thread plus 'DV MP3 MP4 player' and 'Tenzy'. It's very similar to this model, though not identical.

You'd think with it not being a well known brand it would be a bit crummy, but actually it feels very solid and the interface is well designed and easy to navigate.

2. Dreamkatcha thread starter macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

Gotcha! This is my model...

[​IMG]

You can click the image for the full specs.

The problem now is that it's proving very difficult to transcode movies according to the finicky specs required by the device using any software other than the Windows-only 'PMP Transcoder Tool'.

The default output is DivX with IMA ADPCM audio inside an asf wrapper. Does anyone know of a video editor capable of matching that? I know VLC can output to asf, but as you can't specify the codecs used, the resulting movies won't play on my PMP.