mp4s in QT?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by srf4real, Aug 27, 2006.

1. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I tried to convert DVD to mp4 with HandBrake, got a 8Gb file that finder recognizes as mp4, but Quicktime Pro can't open it, neither will VLC media player...

This is my first attempt to us HandBrake, is there better software to convert DVDs that I don't know about?

2. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I have heard that mactheripper is better to rip the dvd and then handbrake converts it but I could be wrong.

3. furious macrumors 65816

furious

try again. i use handbrake all the time. i rip mp4 and it works in qt

4. Rob0711 macrumors member

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

8GB is huge! what settings were you using?

Try these:

1500kbps H.264 Baseline Profile mp4 file
    128kbps Audio
    Full resolution.

Make sure you let it finish encoding or, if you want to check it's progress, click "cancel encoding" and then yes or whatever - stop it, then just double click. The only time I've had problems is if I hit "pause" and tried to play the file - pausing doesn't finish off the file so QT can't play it.

6. srf4real thread starter macrumors 68030

srf4real

I had settings at 100 pecent quality... tried to do a 2 hour video all at once, it took all night I think! (plus I was running iTunes radio and radio lover at the same time.) I did try a smaller file today and had great success. I am now stoked to have found out about handbrake from MR forums! thanks for the advice.:)