MPB Throttle problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrdice87, Oct 9, 2006.

1. mrdice87 macrumors member

My 2.0GHz MBP rarely ever throttles the processor. Coreduotemp shows it running at the full 2.0GHz even under 1-2% load. Every once in a while it will jump to 1.5GHz for a few seconds, then go back up... and it never passes through the in-between frequencies. Anyone know why?

P.S. it is does this on battery power and when plugged in...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is there a processor drop down menu in the Energy Saver pane of System Preference where you can pick the CPU's performance? If there is and the CPU is set to Highest, then I doubt it'll get scaled back very easily during regular usage. If there isn't such a list/option, then just ignore me and I'll go back to my knitting.

3. JDN macrumors 6502a

No there isnt im affraid.

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

5. NJuul macrumors 6502

I think it's a bug in CoreDuoTemp related to the 10.4.8 update. On my MBP CoreDuoTemp almost always shows the CPU as running on max since the update, but I'm quite confident that Tiger still throttles the CPU. I have one of the first MBPs, and it has a whinning noise (haven't gotten around to getting it fixed yet) whenever the CPU is not running on max. And it's still there when there's low CPU utilization, though CoreDuoTemp shows a CPU frequency of 1.83 (max). Battery life haven't decreased either.

6. JDN macrumors 6502a

CoreDuoTemp on my MBP bought in July 2006 is working fine, matches what iStat Pro is saying, and both show accurate fluctuations of processor usage as far as i am aware.

7. andrewmulligan macrumors member

Yeah, that's kind of annoying that it's not on the Intel Notebooks. On my iBook there was a small whine when it was processing on high and now I have one on my MacBook (thinking of trying to get it fixed by AppleCare) so it woule be nice to redudce the processor usage.

BTW, my MacBook usually runs at 1.5GHz.