MPEG-4 licensing seems solved... isn't it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elmimmo, May 1, 2002.

1. elmimmo macrumors 6502

Check this out
    http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/streaming/index.html

Apple is distributing MPEG-4 streaming software already. While I haven't dig more on how this confronts the MPEG-4 licensing problems that existed, I guess that means that Quicktime+MPEG-4 is already a reality.

I guess it's little time until Quicktime 6 for Mac OS X ships then...

2. rugby macrumors regular

Encoding mpeg-4 is the issue. Streaming wasn't, so Apple released the QTSS.

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

i thought that streaming WAS the issue. Doesn't MPEG-LA want to charge for streaming? Apple didn't like that.

-Pete

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Streaming charges are the issue, but by releasing QTSS 4 with the ability to stream MPEG4 they are not violating the license because no-one can endode it yet since QT6 is not available.

5. elmimmo thread starter macrumors 6502

and what's with *ivX besides

3ivX and DivX4&5 are supposed to be legacy MPEG-4 encoders and they do not seem to have stepped into MPEG-LA in any way. In fact Apple's QT6 MPEG-4 codec can decode their streams, the same as 3ivX and DivX are supposed to be able to decode MPEG-4 streams encoded with QT6.

Why is only Apple seeming to be getting into trouble with MPEG-LA licenses? Is it that the *ivX community is not so big as to be bugging MPEG-LA whether they infringe they license or not?

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

iApp streaming

If this video conferencing iApp uses MPEG4, can my G4 733 Quicksilver encode live for streaming??

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: iApp streaming

I think you might be jumping the gun here, stoid. No one really knows what the new iApp is going to be, we only have vague rumors. We'll have to wait and see if it shows itself at WWDC, or we might have to wait until July.

I'm really curious about it though, looking forward to it.:D

8. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Only 4 more days, and then we'll know.
    I don't think that the MPEG-4 linsence is solved yet, otherwise we would already have seen a QT6 release, because it was ready at QT-live last February. Or unless Steve is keeping it as a surprise on the WWDC (as usual unexpected)