Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
bug said:
Can you confirm a few things for me about this (before I shell out for the Pro version)?
Sure!
I need to confirm that this IS NOT re-encoding the file. I need a tool that simply merges video files, strips out the old headers, and generates a new header for the merged file. I don't want a tool that is recompressing the video to create the merged file.
Correct, it simply merges the video files. Its NOT re-encoding them. It only takes a minute or two, depending of the size of the files

...and secondly - your first step "Open file 1 with QuickTime and move the time slider to the end" concerns me. So does this mean that for every file I add I have to manually drag the slider to the end? That will just not do.
You only have to do this for the first file. Then the next files will be added behind this one in the order you drop them. I have only dropped one at a time, so I'm not sure what happends when you drop multiple files

I have only done this a handfull times with DivX encoded avi files myself.
So before you shell out the money, get someone else to verify that it works as I say.

Edit: It can cut out parts and split files as well. But I have never looked much into it.

bug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Thanks!

Wow, that pretty much sounds like what I was looking for Solaris!

If I only have to do the drag on the first file then that isn't so bad. I was worried I'd have to do it 30 times (if I had 30 parts).

I'll probably get QT Pro then - there have been a few reasons to get it over the years... still think it should come with Macs stock, but oh well :)

Anyway, I'll check it out - even if it doesn't work exactly like I want QT Pro is probably still worth the money for other reasons.

Thanks!

:p

minow267

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
Hey everyone. I Had the same problem looking for an Avi splitter. For the longest time i thought i was never going to find one. BUT I FINALLY DID! this one is exactly what i was looking for.

I needed an avi splitter where you could play the video in the program. so that you know where to cut the move. With this program you can actually cut smaller sections out of the movie file.
It is very usefully if you want to cut funny sections out of movies for instance.

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

Check it out. it is completely free!
I registered to this forum just so that other people don't have to search google for hours on end. I am not sure if it can join files. but it might.
hope this helps!

clinntt

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
correction

*correction* - it's not drag & drop, BUT if you just tell the finder to always use this program for these kinds of files (ie *.avi.004) then all you ever have to do is double click the first file and it does all the work.

bug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
*correction* - it's not drag & drop, BUT if you just tell the finder to always use this program for these kinds of files (ie *.avi.004) then all you ever have to do is double click the first file and it does all the work.

Yeah - I have had split and concat this whole time, but it doesn't deal with actual individual avi files properly.

i.e. - if the extension is:
then it works well, but with this:
movie001.avi
movie002.avi

it doesn't do the job. Its not just that the file name structure isn't correct, its because split and concat doesn't correctly regenerate the avi header to have the proper total length.

SilentKnight777

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Still looking?

Hey bug,

I just stumbled on your post, and while it is a little outdated, I figured I would respond just in case you were still on the hunt. I had a similar problem awhile back and I found this little app really handy!

http://mpgtx.sourceforge.net/

Sometimes I have trouble with the drag and drop functionality (maybe I'm just a tard?) But if you click open file I can just cmd select all the files I want, they drop into the window, I hit join, and bam--a second later I have my movie. To give you an idea I just did a test with it and joined 4 movies titled "1-6.mpg" "2-2.mpg" "2.mpg" and "3-4.mpg" They joined just fine, in that order. (They join in the order they are listed, irrespective of the name)

Hopefully it helps if your still at a loss.

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
Hey everyone. I Had the same problem looking for an Avi splitter. For the longest time i thought i was never going to find one. BUT I FINALLY DID! this one is exactly what i was looking for.

I needed an avi splitter where you could play the video in the program. so that you know where to cut the move. With this program you can actually cut smaller sections out of the movie file.
It is very usefully if you want to cut funny sections out of movies for instance.

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

Check it out. it is completely free!
I registered to this forum just so that other people don't have to search google for hours on end. I am not sure if it can join files. but it might.
hope this helps!

just wanted to say splitting avi's has been the bane of my existence for years ... i knew the ffmpeg split, but found it trying to keep splitting it one chunk at a time ... this is the best app i've found, has timecode splits for multiple cuts in one go (with live preview), smart tools to help sync etc, and its friggin free.

thanks for pointing this out, and for anyone still looking, give this one a shot!

infobleep

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
just wanted to say splitting avi's has been the bane of my existence for years ... i knew the ffmpeg split, but found it trying to keep splitting it one chunk at a time ... this is the best app i've found, has timecode splits for multiple cuts in one go (with live preview), smart tools to help sync etc, and its friggin free.

thanks for pointing this out, and for anyone still looking, give this one a shot!

I know this is a slightly older posting but today I've been looking into splitting DV video and I cannot see how one does a timecode split using avidemux. It may be that it can only be done using a script or at command line but as I don't know the times I wish to split, because each clip is different, it's a concert I filmed, I need a GUI interface to mark split cue points, which can then be used to split the video afterwards. Saving each track one by one using the a -> B method takes up to much of my time to be useful. The splitting part needs to be completed automatically after I mark the points required.

I can find quite a few freeware based PC applications but none for the Mac. I do try to use my Mac as much as I can but I keep coming up against a wall of it's only available for free if you have Windows. I don't mind paying for software but when a free alternative exists, even if it is on Windows, I'm drawn to that.

I must add that there is a freeware product for the Mac called Explicit but it hasn't been developed since 2003 and when I try to preview video with it, I just got a blank screen. I couldn't even figure out how to actually play the video but even getting a still didn't work. The other problem was that I needed to have multiple splits where as Explicit seemed to only create 1.

However I have come across Splitfuse (http://likelysoft.com/splitfuse/) which is approx. $10 so I might consider purchasing that or I'll be working in Windows using a freeware program.

Regards

Infobleep

mackid1993

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2009
This thread is a bit old, but I seem to have found a solution. Source Essentially you need to install a set of command line utilities called QTCoffee. Once installed, fire up your Apple Script editor and copy and paste this in.

property type_list : {"AVI"}
property extension_list : {"avi"}

-- This droplet processes both files or folders of files dropped onto the applet
on open these_items
repeat with i from 1 to the count of these_items
set this_item to (item i of these_items)
set the item_info to info for this_item
if folder of the item_info is true then
process_folder(this_item)
else if (alias of the item_info is false) and ¬
((the file type of the item_info is in the type_list) or ¬
the name extension of the item_info is in the extension_list) then
process_item(this_item)
end if
end repeat
end open

-- this sub-routine processes folders
on process_folder(this_folder)
set these_items to list folder this_folder without invisibles
repeat with i from 1 to the count of these_items
set this_item to alias ((this_folder as text) & (item i of these_items))
set the item_info to info for this_item
if folder of the item_info is true then
process_folder(this_item)
else if (alias of the item_info is false) and ¬
((the file type of the item_info is in the type_list) or ¬
the name extension of the item_info is in the extension_list) then
process_item(this_item)
end if
end repeat
end process_folder

-- this sub-routine processes files
on process_item(this_item)
-- NOTE that the variable this_item is a file reference in alias format
do shell script ("/usr/local/bin/splitmovie -o '" & (POSIX path of this_item) & "_split.avi' -self-contained -no-fast-start -duration 5:00 '" & (POSIX path of this_item & "'"))
end process_item

To edit, the time that you want your video to be split at, simply edit the bold text near the bottom of the script. Essentially this script (in it's current state) will split your clip up into 5 minute segments. Next, save the file as an application, close the script editor, and drop your video onto it. The split files will start to appear rather quickly in the directory the original file was in. There you go, problem solved (hopefully). Now, I pray that this 5+ year old thread can be put to rest. :p

EDIT: Everything plays fine on the mac, but I have been having issues playing on the PS3, also avidemux won't recognize it. I'm thinking it is because I modified the script to spit out avi's, but it was designed for mov's. It is probably just changing the extension and not the container. Try changing the 3 instances of avi in the script to mov if you come across any issues.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.