MPEG4-AAC or Apple Lossless - What do you use?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Sirin, Jun 18, 2006.

?

Which iTunes format do j00 use?

1. AAC

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  2. Apple Lossless

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Nah. I don't use any of those. MP3 for teh win!

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. What is AAC, what is Apple Lossless? Who are you? Who am I? :eek:

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sirin macrumors member

Sirin

Which do you use for iTunes+iPod+Quicktime, AAC or Apple Lossless?

I use AAC, since it is smaller in file size, and I am not really a hardcore quality junkie, 128kbps is right for me.

Which do j00 use?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think this topic has been covered once or twice, but since you've set up a poll: aac@128 is more than good enough for me, too... remember I grew up with cassettes, and after that aacs are just fine... even aacs@96VBR (converted from higher bitrate files) are more than adequate for listening on my iPod mini or over AirTunes to my hifi... :)

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I use mp3 at 256 Kbps VBR. I had some of my Classical music on there using Apple Lossless, but it didn't mix as well with the others during shuffle mode.

I wouldn't mind using Apple Lossless for everything but I don't have enough disk space, even temporarily, to hold the library.

4. Konradx macrumors 6502

Konradx

i use FLAC but Applie is proprietary and lame so it doesnt read them. If someone has a plugin for the ipod+itunes to get it to read FLAC i'll fedex you a cookie.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I use AAC most of the time, and move up to lossless for any songs that need it (less than 1 % of my collection).

6. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

aac160 for my imported CDs.. not sure why since 128 sounds the same on my speakers and the subtle differences that I notice with headphones don't really warrant the extra meg or so the 160 creates. I guess I just like the number better. I also buy from iTunes and 128 sounds great.

The only time I use Apple lossless is when... ;) and that is for archiving only

8. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Haha, that's exactly why I use AAC 160kbps. If disk space was infinite, I would use Apple Lossless, or FLAC if iTunes supported it.

9. Timepass macrumors 65816

I tend to use 160-192kps mp3s. I like mp3s because everything can play them and I dont have to worry bout trying to remember if everything is in the correct formate when I burn a disk to play somewhere else.

I dont noticed any really diffecne and ACC doesnt play in everything. Mp3 does.

10. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

AAC. Quality is fine for my needs. Though it is annoying how AAC isn't used outside of apple programs.