mpegs won't play

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by switchedanhappy, Feb 7, 2004.

1. switchedanhappy macrumors regular

why won't mpegs that I get on limewire play? i tried quicktime and windows media player. some mpegs work, in limewire they say they are .mpg
    what can i use to play these mpegs?

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

There are all sorts of video and audio codecs out there that many people use to encode their video, so you're probably just missing the proper divx codec. I used to have a whole pile of them on my PC before I got my Mac, but now I find that I can play absolutely everything through either QuickTime (with a divx codec I downloaded), VLC, or if all else fails, MPlayer. QuickTime and VLC have played 99% of every clip I've ever tried on it though, so grab VLC (or MPlayer if you like, they're both free) and you shouldn't have any problems. Unless the file is corrupt. ;)

3. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Re: mpegs won't play

Yea, try Mplayer or VLC.

There are some Mpegs encoded with windows media player that only play on......windows media player. I guess they technicaly aren't mpegs then, but oh well!!

4. switchedanhappy thread starter macrumors regular

thanx you guys! I already ahd divx and 3vix and all that, but vlc really did the trick!

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Re: Re: mpegs won't play

True, yet if you're referring to .WMV files, I have successfully been able to get those to play using VLC as well - like I said, VLC will play pretty much everything I can throw at it! Great app, and it's free - can't ask for much more than that!

6. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Re: Re: Re: mpegs won't play

No, I'm refering to .mpg files...

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Re: Re: Re: Re: mpegs won't play

Ah, I gotcha now.... :cool:

8. wesnes2006 macrumors newbie

thank you!

wow. i've had my mac for about 7 months now; i had the exact same problem. i had to delete all my videos that wouldn't play... i even called apple tech support to no avail! thank you all for your help! vlc worked like a charm!!! whoooooo! happy day.

.wes:)

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Generally my experience is.....VLC will play just about anything you throw at it.

-Kevin