MPG Movies only outputting sound through internal speaker in Quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mjgunn, Sep 22, 2006.

1. mjgunn macrumors member

In VLC, the sound plays fine through my speakers, but in QT, the sound only comes out through the internal speaker. It was working normally with QT, but I tried out some codecs for some videos which I still can't get to play in OS X, and apparently, one of them broke the sound in quicktime. Anyone have any ideas?

2. mjgunn thread starter macrumors member

Well, did a google search for "quicktime sound internal speaker", and eventally came across this site

http://www.macsupport.ca/2006/03/30/resolving-sound-problems-on-the-mac/

Went through it, and saw it talking about garage band, and how it seems to reset sound for the entire OS when used. Seemed a bit strange to me, but I opened it up. Tapped the piano keys a few times, and the sound there was also coming out the internal speaker (my system preference is set to external, and like I said, most things were playing through my external speakers fine).

Anyway, opened garage band prefs, saw it was set to internal, changed it to external, and now my problem is fixed, QT is once again sending the audio for my MPG files to my external speakers. Strange way to fix it, but I'm just glad I was able to :)

3. shawnjooste macrumors newbie

Hmm, I wonder if it is a bug? and if so will we see a fix for it anytime soon?

It seems strange that an application controls the sound of the OS, surely you should have a setting or option in your system prefs?