Mplayer can't player h.264 .mp4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mmmdreg, Jun 21, 2005.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

i used Handbrake to create a h.264/AAC mp4 file that plays fantastically in quicktime. However, mplayerosx can't seem to play it. This applies to both MplayerOSX and the OSX release of the official mplayer. Has anyone else had it working?

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yep, strangely enough there is.

MPlayer for OS X

MPlayer OS X

To the original poster: I have not seen you around here in a long while! Nice avatar. To your question, I might be wrong, but I don't think MPlayer has the capability to play h.264 files. Why don't you just use QuickTime 7?

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

As far as I know, only Quicktime has implemented H.264 Video support... Use Quicktime 7.

5. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i dont know about mplayer, but i'm aware that both quicktime 7 and vlc play h.264 files very well.

:)

6. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Heh yeah I've been a tad quite of late. My avatars been with me from the start! One of the big posters here at the time made it for me. I'll have to do a bit of a search to find who it was =)

I swear I googled before and I read h.264 was supported by mplayer.. but I just went to their official site and it seems I read wrong =) As for quicktime 7, it is really nice playback quality and all but I like my full screen!

On a related note, mplayer/vlc/windows media player seems to have some trouble playing wmv files for some reason (yes, even the official player). I found that installing a "wmv player" thing lets me watch them in quicktime which is much better than windows media player anyway! So I recommend that to anyone who can't get wmv files to work properly! (",)

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

where did you happen to find this?

8. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Right here.. although I didn't realise it was "commercial" when I downloaded it. I haven't paid for anything and it works fine so far.. So I'm not too sure what the limitations are meant to be.

Edit: I see there is a "trial" version. Get it here.

Anyway, what do people think of the two versions of mplayer? I had a few issues with volume on the latest mplayerosx build for tiger so I'm swinging towards the official one. However, the official one has less flexibility from GUI control.. but that should improve over time.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MPlayer and VLC can play WM8 and older WM formats. To play WM9 files, you need WMP 9 or a fee-based alternative. If your copy of WMP does not play a WMV file, there are probably only two possible explanations. One is that your player is too old. Download and install the latest version of Windows Media Player 9 for the Mac. The second explanation is that the file is WM10 format. Nothing on the Mac plays WM10. If you don't have VPC, you are SOL. As for that "'wmv player' thing," you are talking about the Flip4Mac WMV Player 1.01 QuickTime codec. Until you pay the $9.99 US fee, the QuickTime player is restricted to playing only the first half of each WMV file.