Mr. Anderson And The Wonderful BTO Mac Fun

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So, I've gone and done something I had hoped I would ever do again and I hope my luck turns to good this time around.

Waaay back in the day - I ordered the first PowerMacG4 when it came out - the day it was announced at MacWorld NewYork.

There was a long wait time, but that was fine, I knew about it. Then Apple announced this

Bad news, followed a day later by a retraction. Not too bad - but it got the blood pumping.

Eventually, one day, a large Apple box was delivered to my door - oh the joy, as many here understand - but oh the horror as I open up the box to find a machine that I didn't order. Instead of the upper end 450 MHz APG Sawtooth with dual SCSI drives, etc. I had a low end 350 MHz standard, non BTO machine. My annoyance was profound to say the least. So a call to Apple, off goes the computer that was almost mine and another continued wait (one month or so) until I *finally* got the machine I ordered.

Sigh....

So move ahead a couple years - I try again, this time ordering a BTO Rev C 667 MHz PowerBook - woohoo! tracking it all the way from Taiwan, I watch it arrive at the Washington, DC FedEx dock. And then it seems to stay there. So the next day I after talking to a number of people at FedEx I go and take a personal visit to the facility. They admit the box from Apple arrives at the dock - but they don't know where it is now.....sorry.

More calls to Apple and FedEx corporate, more painful agony on my part, and Apple and FedEx come to an agreement and finally another PowerBook is ordered. This time I only had to wait an additional 3 weeks for another BTO machine to make its way from Taiwan.

2005, not wanting to be noticed by the capricious Apple Shipping Gods - I drove 2 1/2 hours to Chicago and picked up my wife's G5 iMac.

So, sitting here and having watched the date of shipping of my new BTO Quad G5 bumped from 2-4 days when I ordered it on Tuesday to 'shipping on the 17th' I'm wondering if I'm just destined to annoyance from them.

Figured I'd share this for posterity :D

D

2. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Thats quite the apple run-around story:eek: Hopefully everything goes well on this G5 (which sounds like a beast), any reason why supply is so tight? (or is apple just bad a predicting shipdates)

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think it has to do with the update to iLife and 10.4.4 - but I really don't know.

I also think that the 17th is the day for everyone else as well - but I'll believe it when I see it come off the truck :D

D

4. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

If there is any justice in the world the machine will arrive on time and perfect. Mathematically the odds have to be in your favor.

Good luck!

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's what I thought the second time :D

And I don't think math has anything to do with this. But I'm optimistic - I'd love to see if anyone else has the same shipping date or had ordered a Quad on Tuesday as well.

D

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

*takes a step away from Mr. A*

No offence, but I don't want your bad luck.

*puts a mask on to cover his mouth and nose*

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Thanks so much for your support :p

I don't think it contagious, so you shouldn't have to worry - but did you just order a new machine as well?

D

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I got lucky - my 2.7 was BTO with a bunch of modifications and the oriinal ship time was two weeks. :eek:

I got it in two days. :cool:

9. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You're so special :D

Why don't you tell us about your adventures in 30" Apple Displays :p

D

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Nah - I was just saying, maybe you'll get yours quick with no problems. :)

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I hope so - its been a spotty record so far and it would be a nice change this time.

But I haven't gone through the wait for a machine in years and its annoyingly painful. Especially since my current one is quite flaky.....and I have a ton of things I want to do that will take so much more time on the dual G4, I've put them off till the arrival of the quad :D

D

12. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha!

And it starts - I just checked my order status and found this below. Do I get an email telling me that there's an issue? Of course not. Should there be an issue with the order? No - but I have to wait till tomorrow to resolve it now.

Un-friggin-believable :rolleyes:

I am cursed,

D

Attached Files:

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

maybe apple banned you from their website....j/k ;) :p

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sorry, Mr. Anderson. When I said you could charge on that credit card all you liked, I didn't know that arn would figure out where it went.

15. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

sssshhhh! ;)

It might just be that I went over the daily limit on the card, not the total limit. Its just annoying that I have to deal with it and that I found out by checking the thing myself and not getting a call or email about the issue.

And if the ship date slips.......:mad:

D

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No problems. :p I'm still gonna keep the face mask on though.

Not buying one at the moment, but I'm tempted to sell my rev B 12" PB to get myself one of the new 15" MBP. I want to run a version of Linux and a particular simulation package that really does need an Intel or AMD, so it's impossible on my rev B 12" PB P.O.S. that slows down a bit if I'm multitasking, using 15 or so small, common apps, and around 10 tabs in Firefox. ;)

And if I order a new 15" MBP, I'm one of those people who's always tempted to just take the base model because it's already there in the store. I just go down to the store, look at the display model, and if I like-ee, then I buy-ee. Quick and painless, and very low risk.

What BTO options did you order with your quad? :confused:

17. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

500 Meg drive and a 7800 GT - I bought the RAM - 8 Gig - separately.

Yeah, so I find out about this last night and the recording for the credit card company says they're open at 8 AM this morning. So I call and eventually get an account rep and they say they can't help me, blah, blah, security measures, the charge was too high and you have to talk to someone who isn't going to be available until Monday morning.....

So my order is going to be delayed.....I'll try Apple later and let them know - but I'm thinking the reason that the issue occurred at all was because they were billing me to ship the thing early - so who knows.

Bleh,

D

18. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

That's pure torture!

I had a very lucky Friday 13th, today there is a full moon and there was a black cat at my doorstep this morning.

I wish you luck! :p

19. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Amazingly enough someone at the accounts dept. was working on their day off and actually called me - so its all been fixed, even on Apple's side of things.

So delivery still stands at the 17th....hopefully not much more can happen.

D

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats awesome. keep you fingers crossed that things go smooth from here on out.

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You were touching wood with your fingers crossed as you said that, right?

Third time lucky... with just a few hitches to make you panic

22. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its one of the reasons I started this thread - I figured it would jinx the jinx ;)

Who knows, though - I'll update in a few days when the thing ships, when it arrives and make sure its not DOA.

D

23. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I already figured out the next glitch ... the Intel Power Mac's are going to be introduced on the 17th ... I'm really sorry, it seems like everytime I order a computer apple questions my credit card company and they have to get my verbal confirm ...

24. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hahaha - that would be damn funny - don't know if I'd want the quad Intel Mac, especially since some of the Pro Apps don't work on them yet...

but it is a *Tuesday* ;)

D

25. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

And as of this morning, its still estimated for tomorrow - even with the fiasco this weekend.

Seems odd, anyone else order a quad or other G5 recently and have the same ship date?

D