MR as a marriage strengthener?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, Feb 13, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

As a strange byproduct of my seeking advice from the masses, a question developed...

There are many MR member types that are married or otherwise in deeply committed relationships. I'm just wondering how many of these member types see both halves of the couple using MR. Stories of how one brought the other would be fun, I guess.

For example, floriflee and I are married. I sort of dragged her into this when she realized that I was slowly spending too much time here. I've since backed off, only to see her live for the 'rumors. I should note that she is slowly turning and will sooner or later (hopefully sooner) sell her Toshiba lappy and get a Mac of some sort...

2. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Sounds like a truly intimate way to share a common interest:

"Apple just released an Intel dual-core based laptop called the MacBook Pro."
    "Take me now you wild creature of the night!"

Or at least, that's how I imagine it goes.

3. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Wow, that would be creepy... imagine, you're not safe anywhere! Each spouse could keep tabs on each other... and what if either of you wanted to vent? The other could find the thread. THAT could be awkward.

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

The woman has a strange relationship with myself and MR. Usually she's pretty jealous of MR (seeing it as something that takes up time that should be spent with her), but every once in a while she'll ask "Whatcha reading?"

This explains why my posts will occasionally contain the phrase "The woman says:".

So, technically, you could say she posts here (thoughI take dictation!). But when I raise the prospect of registering, she gives me the "What the hell is wrong with you and why am I marrying you?" look. Since she's my meal ticket ;) , I don't push the issue!

Oh. And I love her very much, of course. :p

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Rob hates this place. :rolleyes:

It comes with the package.

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You really should get him to sign up. Try saying it would be a great way for him to spend more time with you. :p ;)

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I just love to see couples come together and enjoy something. So i'm guessing whiles you are in the living room on the computer shes in the bedroom on her lappy on MR or ya'll take turns.....if MR brings it together then i say more power to MR.

Never Neglect your partner!

Bless

8. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I used to feel the same way as her.... wondering what he was reading and why he wasn't spending more time with me. Then I just had to come to terms with it. I figured this was one of those "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" things. Now, I can find out about all the things that are on his mind that he forgets to mention to me (until about two or three days later). :)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If I saw my girlfriend on here I would probably die of shock. It'd be quite sad.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The less we hear about your "package," the better Gary.

I'd give this place up in a heartbeat if a girlfriend came along. Posting on MR would take up too much valuable "listening" time wink wink nudge nudge.

11. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

That's the perverse beauty of this place - you can only, uh, listen, so much. I really thing that this site has had almost as much to do with her wanting to get a Mac as my experience with my PB. It's creepy, but I really feel like most of the users here are my friends.

12. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

You think you'll be able to stop once that special someone comes around, but you won't. You will then find that MR has become a voice inside your head that you like to listen to. You will need it... you need it's advice when your someone can't give it to you...you can't live without it... MR has become a part of you.... :eek:

Let's face reality. That someone will just have to accept MR as part of the package deal with you. :D

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Married yes, my wife will never get involved, she doesn't see the point.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No, serously, I'dtiunr my back on youseall forsome hankypanky.

Geeze im pised.

Woooo1!!!!

15. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Hanky panky takes what? Five minutes?? ;) You'll be back to MR right after that's over. :D

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Five minutes?? It takes me that long just to get my socks off.....

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Best advice from yellow ever. Mad Jew is still better than you.

RED, RED, WINE...........

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Bah.. That's the Oz in you talking. :rolleyes: :)

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

My wife would never get into this. She doesn't really understand why I'm into it, either, although most of the time I'm here I'm either at work, or home on my own. I try not to let it take away from family time, which is why I don't post much on weekends.

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's all there is in me.

Apart from the English

And the German

And the American.

And the Scottish

And the Welsh

Bah, I'm just Australian.

22. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

I would not go as far to say a marriage strengthener except in your case where you both enojoy to be here. I am sure most people would agree MR has caused more relationship problems especially if someone is always reading your posts or they just don't get why you like post (which by the way it helps me make it through my horrible day at work and I have NO ONE to discuss my tv programs, Olympics, etc with so that helps too). I have always enjoyed message boards...been on them for years but some people just don't understand it. I prefer MR because you can talk about more things than just mac stuff so it doesn't get boring and I learn a lot. :)

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

My wife doesn't understand this place at all. However when it houses new theories on Lost she doesn't seem to complain. I'm in much the same boat as emw in that I don't post much on evenings and weekends. This is mostly a work/early morning/late night/nap time kind of place. My wife does sudoku puzzles online, I post/read here and play PS2, or do homework.