Mr. Dwyer and Me...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Jan 27, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Remember the note I wrote to my state rep? One of his administrative folks wrote me back, and boy, have I lost all faith (be sure to click and read the links THEY provided me with):

Reverse chronological order:

You must be kidding me.

You provide me a link to a religious site filled with Biblical quotes from Mr. "I hate gays Dobson?"

Guess Mr. Dwyer missed the chapter on Separation of Chruch and State, too.

Let Mr. Dwyer know that he has confirmed that the Republican Party as I knew it is now truly dead.

No response required. Actually, I'd prefer it if you didn't.

Gary Reich

On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Delegate Don Dwyer wrote:

January 27, 2006

Dear Gary,

The Constitutional Amendment Delegate Dwyer proposes simply allows the issue to go before the public for a vote. If Marylanders are in favor of same-sex marriage, the vote will reflect that and the Amendment will die. Keep in mind that Maryland voters passed a referendum in favor of abortion in 1991. And the conservatives of the General Assembly have not contended with those wishes. The issue of same-sex marriage is too important to be left to judicial opinion in Delegate Dwyer's estimation. As a representative of the people, he's fighting for the people's right to define their own societal norms (as elucidated through governmental policy).

In regards to the social consequences of same-sex marriage, we refer you to the following two articles. You'll find many common arguments against and objections to gay marriage, including how gay marriage has hurt traditional marriage in other nations.

http://www.defendmarylandmarriage.com/11arg.html

http://www.defendmarylandmarriage.com/Caleb_art2.htm

Regarding equal rights and freedom to love who one wants, Delegate Dwyer is in full support. He actually co-sponsored legislation this year that allows the transfer of property, medical visitation, and the sharing of medical benefits (as well as other rights) between any two consenting adults regardless of relationship. The problem for him arises when those rights are conferred on the basis of sexual lifestyle. He believes a request for an official (or governmental) redefinition of marriage should go before the people.

If you would like further explanation or authoritative research on the issue, feel free to contact us again.

Courtney Smith

Research Assistant

Delegate Don H. Dwyer, Jr.

31st District

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 9:03 PM
    To: don.dwyer@house.state.md.us
    Subject: Gay Marriage

Mr. Dwyer,

You, sir are exactly the reason that hundreds of thousands of Republicans are fleeing the party. Unfortunately, you and most of the party have long lost sight of about what the Republican Party was formed for--and at its core--is about: individual freedom with a limited and non-intrusive government.

Your quite in Friday's Washington post is what struck me to write this letter to you:

"The evidence is now on the table. We must pass a constitutional amendment."

I, for one, as have many Marylanders, have had it with state lawmakers passing laws that are very obviously a direct violation of the Equal Protection Clause as well as meddling in the affairs of "the sanctity of marriage." Let me assure you, Mr. Dwyer, that with a 50% divorce rate, the "sanctity of marriage," as you put it, is far from an untouched treasure that we need to "defend," as our governor has put it.

The other item you are quoted as saying follows:

"This issue is not for the courts to decide."

I say, sir, that the issue of marriage, and who it can and can't include is not for you and state lawmakers to decide. Please stop wasting the salary I pay you dealing with such foolishness in order to "save us" from some imaginary evil and remember what being a Republican is about - freedom, not exclusion. I wouldn't mind a tax break while you are at it.

Respectfully yours,

Gary Reich

2. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

3. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Wow, scary stuff, especially this bit:

The "homosexual agenda" is the kind of thing you expect to hear from a satirist, I didn't know these people actually said that sort of thing out in the open.

I wonder if there ever was an argument against gay marriage that didn't include the word "God" or "Genesis".

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I'm honestly speechless.

A state elected representative sent me to a gay hate site in disguise?

5. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

sheesh. sorry, gary. that's f***ed up. i don't know how else to put it.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Your state rep should be removed from office. Isn't this a violation of separation of church and state?

Wow- that second link was particularly offensive. I never knew we could take down society all by ourselves! :) These people are seriously delusional.

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

[​IMG]

So I have done a little research on asshat™, my delegate:

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

Oh, that's rich. They've even drafted a nice little debate, complete with the standard answers against the matter, just in case you're too much of a moron to know the issues yourself. Utterly pathetic. :mad:

9. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

The guy really is pathetic - I was speechless when I got the e-mail back with links to Focus on the Family?!?!?. I am honestly considering never associating myself with the Republican Party again. Ever.

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I just re-replied to my e-mail with:

11. vniow macrumors G4

This guy's a creep. Unfortunately homosexual?? How do people like this even come into public office?

12. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Because people don't investigate their delegates. I voted for this guy - why?

Because he was the Republican choice at the time - I had no idea who he was.

Lesson learned: Know your candidates and don't just vote for the sake of voting.

This guy is seriously delusional, as is his entire staff. The deeper I dig, the loonier he gets.

13. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Haha, that actually made me chuckle... Way to look at the bright side of things :)

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

Could you clarify Gary -- Dwyer provided you with links to Focus on the Family? If that's the case, then this has absolutely nothing to do with "fighting for the people's right to define their own societal norms," and has everything to do about his own personal beliefs on the matter. If the majority of Marylanders believe homosexuals should be able to marry, I wonder if he would still sing the praises of "the people's right to define their own societal norms."

I don't know about you, but I'd much prefer people be open about their bigotry.

15. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Check the links in the first post.

16. aquajet macrumors 68020

Ah, missed those.

I don't think so. Call them for what they are: neoconservatives. Real conservatives work for the people.

If the amendment dies, something tells me that it won't be the end of the issue.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Unfortunately, though your Mr. Dwyer is a genuine scary-moster, he's roughly at the center of Republican Party ideology at this point in time. He and his socially reactionary pals are calling most of the shots. An equivalent trend occurred in the Democratic Party in the 1970s -- which is when I became an independent.

18. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well I registered independent last year, but still held onto the Republican platform for its ideals...they've effed up the platform so bad, I won't even be associated with them anymore. I'm done.

I mean get this - he tells an atheist senior to go build her own senior center because she is trouncing on his people's rights. She has just as much right to her non-religion as their religion, that's why it stays out of government.

**sigh**

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The guy is totally off his nut.

I predict a GOP leadership position in his future.

20. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, I still can't believe it. When I opened the links and saw "James Dobson," I was like - errr, huh? :confused: :eek:

I'll do everything I can to get this toolbag ousted this year.

21. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I forwarded the e-mail to a couple of places.

I love this response:

22. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Holy crap. I'm speechless and that has happened very few times in my life.

iGary, you should forward this to all the elected Republicans in your state and send it to local newspapers (letters to the Editor). This cretin needs to be exposed. Like you said, people don't know who they're voting for.

23. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Christ, the more I dig, the better it gets:

From his own Web Page:

Grammatical and spelling errors, his.

24. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

From his "My Important Issues" page:

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Theocracy anyone?