MR Fantasy Football League

Discussion in 'Community' started by skubish, Jul 31, 2005.

1. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Who is interested in participating in a Mac Rumors Fantasy Football League?

Basic Guidelines I am thinking of:
    1. American Football (of course)
    2. no money involved
    3. no prizes just bragging rights :)
    4. Online Live draft (may be difficult to get everyone online at the same time)

Post here if interested and I can set up a league on Yahoo.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yup - count me in!

Live draft wise - so long as it's at a weekend (Fri or Sat), I don't mind if it ends up being 6 or 7pm ET. Also would suggest towards end of August once we've all had a chance to do our training camp homework. ;)

3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I'm definitely interested. It would be best for me if the draft was at the end of August. Online drafts are the best. Just post plenty of time in advance, and I'm sure everyone can make it.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Not too much of a football fanatic, but I know my way around. Count me in...

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Count me in! I'll defend the honor of MacRumors Newbies everywhere ...

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I very much look forward to gloriously defeating you all on the virtual grid-iron. I'm in.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Ha! You better not play, you might get hurt. With hair like that, I'll let you be my cheerleader. "Bring It On" ;)

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

One more thing - I think we need a verbal commitment to sticking out the season - even if you're 0-4 by the end of Sept that you keep playing even just as a spoiler.

There's nothing worse than being in a league where someone has given up and doesn't change their bye week lineups so that the opponent is guaranteed victory which can foul it up for everyone above

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I agree with Applespider. I play fantasy football and baseball. I hate when people stop playing. What is even worse is when they drop all of their players, then stop playing. Spoils the whole thing.

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

i'm in! won't do well this year, been out of the preseason action, but it will help me for next year.

Go Panthers!

12. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

Ok

I created a league at Aol.com.
    I didn't go with Yahoo because you limit to when to set your draft date. No weekends or evenings unless you pay. Aol lets you pick anytime for the draft and it is also free.

I will PM people interested with the league ID and password so you can sign in and create your team. Right now the league is set for 10 teams in 2 divisions. We can add or delete based on interest. I think we need at least 8 teams though.

A couple of items I wanted to mention:
    1. Please be committed to play for the season (17 weeks total). All that really means is show up for the draft and log in once per week and check there are no players in your starting lineup on bye, injured, etc.

2. Draft Time is TBD. It will probably be late August on Friday or Sat. night EST.

3. Have fun. (I hope to run the table in the inaugural season) :)

13. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

PMs sent:

thedude I contact you so contact me via email or PM.

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I already got a league I'm in but if I were you I would think about not doing a full season aka all 17 weeks unless you need them, make sure you get an equal amount of time playing each other if you can ... but in the last two or three weeks the teams that are a lock for playoffs bench their best players and it can manipulate the playoffs of a league ... I had the best team by far last year but I had to bench my Starting QB and RB because i knew they weren't gonna risk injury.

15. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

It looks like you can't join by typing the ID and password. I need to send an invite to you. So please PM your email address you want me to send the invite to.

Thanks

16. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

I have sent email invites to those who gave me their email address. We have 6 spots taken so basically 4-6 spots are open. Please send me a PM with your email address if you are interested.

17. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I may sound stupid when I say this, but where do I sign up? I got lost in the AOL site. A direct link (perhaps via PM) would be definately helpful...

18. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

4 spots are still open in the league. Send me a PM with your email address so I can invite you if you want in.

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Are we playing 14 weeks regular season and then week 15/16 are playoffs with w17 being a dead week? Or 15 weeks regular season and the last 2 weeks being playoffs?

If it's still up for debate, I'll throw in a vote for the 14 week option; saves all those pesky decisions when teams who have clinched their division (in the real league) rest their (and your) fantasy studs for the playoffs in week 17.

20. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Could we change this from American football to the Danish soccer league?

No :eek:

...hmm, then I better stay out :(

A

21. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

I was thinking of this right now.
    13 weeks regular season
    week 14 and 15 playoffs.

Reason for 13 weeks: Currently I have the league set up with 2 divisions of 5 teams. 13 weeks lets you play everyone in your division twice (8 games) and everyone in the other division once.

I was thinking of having the division winner and the division runnerups in the playoffs (4 teams). As someone mentioned the last 2 weeks of the NFL season are pretty unpredictable with teams being guaranteed playoff spots, byes etc. It can really mess up the playoffs in NFL players are sitting the bench.

22. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

Also there are 2 spots open. PM your email address for invite.

23. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Sounds good to me - and avoids the whole 'ignoring the family on Christmas' scenario because you're trying to sort out your team...

24. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

3 spots left...

We need at least 1 more person to join to have a league.
    Please PM me your email address for invite.