MR Folding Team close to being overtaken!!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by DeSnousa, May 22, 2005.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

MacRumors folding@home has got 3 days before we get overtaken . Im new to this but i love the competition and i believe our team could do better so common people and start folding. Try to catch up to me and my powerful iBook :rolleyes:

Here is something to help you get started

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

The average Output/month of CustomPC is about 1,000,000 points higher then ours. Don't think we can stop them from overtaking.
    We will have to get back at them in a month or so ;)

3. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Man...

I'm guilty. I have not added the two PC's at work that I said I would... but I will, I promise!

4. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Great to hear.

With that kind of attitude we wont ever get into the top 20. At least let set a goal of 54000 points a day so that the Knight don't pass as in the 78 days expected.

5. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I thought i was rather positive mentioning us getting back at them in a month or so. :p ;)

As for fending of the knights.
    I could add maybe 5 more CPU's to the cause. I'm a bit reluctant on user comments (more heat, more fan noise).
    Bah, will probably install it this evening on at least 1 machine (for testing user reactions).

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

do you really think it's fair to tell someone who produces more points than you that they don't have the right attitude?

7. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Im just having fun and motivating. While i might not be producing as much as most people im just having fun while helping at a good cause out, so cut some slack. Besides every little bit helps the team and researches, and if you added all the little peoples points im sure it would add up :)

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

absolutely it adds up, and i'm sure everyone here appreciates your contribution.

imo, the biggest issue w/ MR folding is the dropout rate. last i checked, only some 16% of those who've ever folded for MR are folding today. i just feel that any frustration regarding team peformance shouldn't be directed at anyone in that 16%.

9. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

10. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yer good point i do know that. I saw that you, Balin64 and redeye_be are doing a great of folding :), just a bit of fun. :D

11. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Great and i do think it will create new folders.

If you are reading this come and join, participate, compete in folding its fun and for a good cause.

12. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

What about me and my iBook G3 runing at 600Mhz? Where are my stats? I can't seem to find me - I'm running under "mofs" for team 3446? :eek: :( :confused:

/end hypochondria

13. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Check your username, can't find it either...

EDIT:
    If you just joined the fold, welcome!
    You might just have to wait a bit before your stats turn up.

14. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

It happened :(
    We're 22nd now...

I added 4 AMD 2200+s to my farm, they only run during office hours though. I tried...
    damn.
    Well, let's get back at them!

15. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I noticed that this morning too. :(

I just added like a 64 bit AMD 3.2 Ghz processor, so that should help. Unfortunately, I loose about 4 hours per WU due to uploading and dowloading...

16. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Wow :eek: nice setup, my iBook has been chugging along for the past few days and only has 32% :eek: Points looks like its going to be 234 so it should be worth it :D .

Welcome to the team, you should be overtaking mw soon :mad: . But it cool just keep on folding for our team and help reachers fight diseases. :)

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering that the team was once 33 (without aggregates), it's not so bad still.

Still, the more people folding for the team the better.

18. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

i'm guilty of desertion :eek:

ever since i got a laptop, i've stopped folding. but the times call for desperate measures. i'm adding my machine to the team again. my how my rank has fallen in the last year :(

19. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Welcome back.

Ive noticed that we had better points yesterday at 51000 for the day :D Keep the good work up every one. Lets keep the knights of our backs :cool:

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I just noticed when checking my points that we are at #22. Very sad, I remember that we were at #20 when I started. We were the number one Mac team.

Looking on the positive side. Since bousozoku said that we were at #33 at one point. Then it doesn't look as bad.

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

HI,

I am not 100% sure of what folding is/for. If someone could explain, it would be appreciated. I have a brand-new PowerMac G5 dual 2.3Ghz computer on the way and if it would be of use I am interested in joining!
    Thanks for the help!

EDIT* sorry I should have checked out the link I quoted before asking, forgive me for my ignorance.

22. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

The link should explain every thing. As for the application i would recommend the dual processor script. Found in the link.

That setup is going to get you some serious points:eek:

Welcome to the team. :)

23. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Your PM will love you for giving it something to do with its idle time. You will get nothing but respect from your fellow folders and will be able to taunt (or get taunted by) them now and again.
    There's no dark side about fodling. You, my friend, have seen the light. I'm awaiting the moment you step in to it before I wish you a warm welcome.

;) :D

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Thanks for the help. As soon as my PowerMac arrives via UPS I will start folding. Can hardly wait for it to arrive-because if I have to use windows one more day... ;)

25. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I've got 130 3Ghz Dell desktops, 60 1.7Ghz Pentium M Thinkpads, 2 IBM XSeries both with quad Xeons at 3Ghz, 1 Compaq Prolient with quad Pentium Pros at 200Mhz, and a AS/400. I would love to help you out but there is that whole firing unpleasantness thing that would happen if I loaded unauthorized software office wide. I kinda like my job. Well kinda. I could do without the outsourcing politics that is emerging but that's a different discussion. Hmmm I could roll this software out in our login scripts and tell everyone to leave their computers on 24/7. Wonder how long I could get away with it before.... *shakes head* never mind. Bad idea. :D