MR Icon Key?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mashinhead, Mar 1, 2007.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I was wondering if there either was a page, or if a page could be made with a key for all the icons used on macrumors and what they mean. Sometimes you'll see people with blue ribbons by their avatar in the forums, or a yellow hand icon when you see the thread listings, stuff like that. I'm curious what some of the icons mean. And a full list could be around for others in the future.

EDIT: i just found out what the ribbons mean

2. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

3. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Maybe he could have read the OP. The OP was asking about specific icons that MR uses...

And though he (the OP) edited his post to say he figured out what the ribbons, meant (I believe they actually 'reveal themselves' when you mouse over them) that info isn't written in the MR FAQ (connected to the guides) but I believe is noted in the contests sub-forums.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Some icons are explained at the bottom of forum display pages. Example: [​IMG] = new posts.

Some are explained when you hover over them, e.g., [​IMG] = contest winner and [​IMG] = thread with attachments.

Please be specific about any icons that don't fall into these two groups, so we can (1) explain them here and (2) consider if we should make the kind of page (or FAQ section) that you are asking about.

6. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

I spent the better part of the morning looking for this but couldn't find it. Do you mean the thread envelope?

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Here are a couple of graphics that we don't explain anywhere. But people can probably guess what they mean, and they are on the front page, not in the forums.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The better part of the morning?! :eek: ;)

By the "yellow hand," he may be referring to the "thumbs up" icon, one of the choices people can add to their thread when composing it. Few people use that feature though, since the icons don't often serve a good purpose.

9. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

yep that's it. As far as the ribbon goes i tried to rollover it but nothing happened, i found out by randomly going in the 3,000,000 post thread.Anyway it's not so much that you can't find these things out over time., i just thought it would be nice to have all these in one place for future reference.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Text labels should appear a second after you hover. Which web browser are you using, on which platform? If rollovers don't always work, we'd like to know it.

11. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Mac os x safari, The latest everything.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In Safari -> Preferences -> Security, is "Enable Javascript" on?

13. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

si

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm out of Inspector Clouseau questions, but perhaps another member will have an idea about why it happens to you.

If it happens to other members too, I hope one of them will post here so we can gather more clues.

In the meantime, another way to identify an icon is to look at its filename. Control-click and open the image to see its filename.

15. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

There's a glitch in Safari (as well as iChat) where on some systems hovering is often spotty at best. I think the latest WebKit builds have fixed it for Safari, though.